Friday, February 17, 2012

COMFORT and CARE

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
ARE YOU SEEKING?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
I was counseling with a woman earlier this week in Englewood who was REALLY struggling with a loss in her life. She had lost her best friend to alcoholism in December. And they were more than just friends. She had made taking care of him during his struggle (and believe me it was a struggle) a priority. She had invested her days and energies for the last 3+ years in trying to help him find peace and sobriety.
Now that he was gone and she was “lost”.
She was desperate for comfort for her pain and her emptiness.
We have all been there. Maybe we have lost someone dear. Maybe the rug was pulled from us in a relationship or a job. Maybe someone we love is on a path of destruction and we are hopelessly watching it happen from the sidelines.
Yet it is during these times when the questions seem answerless and the pain seems unbearable that we must turn to the source of comfort. GOD has the ointment we need for these open wounds. He has the words that bring peace and calm to our restless and agitated souls.
1 Corinthians 1:3-4
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is the Father who is full of mercy and all comfort.4 He comforts us every time we have trouble,
Never forget friends, GOD cares; GOD’s heart aches when our hearts ache and HE will help. He has since the beginning of time.
Isaiah 49:13
…God has comforted his people.
He has tenderly nursed his beaten-up, beaten-down people.
When we are neck deep in our hurt, when we are being washed over with grief, anxiety and pain, we MUST remember some things about our FATHER. We must remember that HIS compassion is personal, continuous, and always available. There is no situation or time when He is inaccessible —we can be consoled and reassured at any time, day or night.
Now I know we often feel as if we need to slug our way through the pain, to puff out our chests and forge ahead on our own strength and resolve. But GOD wants us to lean on Him when the times are tough. He wants to prop us up for when the pain is suppressing. To be honest, HE PREFERS IT THAT WAY!
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
9 But he said to me, "My grace is enough for you. When you are weak, my power is made perfect in you." So I am very happy to brag about my weaknesses. Then Christ's power can live in me. 10 For this reason I am happy when I have weaknesses, insults, hard times, sufferings, and all kinds of troubles for Christ. Because when I am weak, then I am truly strong.
I don’t know what you are up against today. I do know my friend has a long road of healing ahead of her. But I pray that she and all of us will remember that in times of sorrow, grief or pain God's comfort and care are there.
Isaiah 66:
…As a mother comforts her child,
so I'll comfort you.
Have a blessed weekend
I love you all.
Freedom Church

Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment