Wednesday, February 22, 2012

NO "FAIR WEATHER FATHER"...

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
ARE YOU SEEKING?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Busy day yesterday.
I had an early morning run to the REFUGE, pray for D.P. today.
Then I made a quick jaunt back to Xenia where I participated in a poverty simulation with around 60 or so others from the Xenia community and churches. But it was a discussion I had with a “new/old” friend following the simulation that led me to my thoughts this morning.
I was on my way out when a gentleman tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Hey, I came Monday night and I wanted to thank you and I want to come back”. And of course I was flattered, but also embarrassed to say, I didn’t see him Monday and while he looked familiar, I didn’t know his name. L
But as we talked he shared his story.
He had some “days” of sobriety and relapsed.
He had recently been released from jail and rehab. He was in the middle of a 16 week program at the VA. He was working HARD at his recovery, I mean HARD.
Yet as he shared I could sense a little fear; I got this vibe of uncertainty from him. I could feel some apprehension stemming from a feeling that he was worried that “he wasn't yet doing enough to ‘GET GOD BACK’” There was some genuine concern about how GOD felt about his most recent relapse?
That brought me to that familiar passage, one that Mark shared Sunday.
Luke 15:18-20
So he got up and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him, and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.
I was reminded me of the “Nephtali” embrace of the Father when we fail.
I was reminded of Peter’s denial and his restoration by Jesus following His resurrection.
I was reminded that the Father had compassion for my friend and was excited to see him back working HARD on his recovery.
I was reminded and reminded him that God's love for him and us is unconditional!
This story in Luke, this parable of the lost son is the “GO TO” passage for the RECOVERY PASTOR, but some also call it “The Parable of the Father's Heart.”
And for my friend yesterday that had “better application.”
He knew he was lost. He hated that he had wandered off. But HE WAS SO THANKFUL for THE FATHER’S HEART, THE FATHER’S EMBRACE, THE FATHER’S KISS, and THE FATHER’S PROMISE.
Malachi 3:7
…Return tome, and I will return to you,” says the LORD Almighty
My friend is not alone, all of us from time to time feel as if we have sinned and offended God to such an extent that we can’t possibly approach Him; that He does not want to see us and he SURE doesn’t want to EMBRACE us!
Truth is we all do things that make us feel “a long way off". That is how my friend felt. That is the story of the lost son.
Yet what both my friend and the son found was a Father waiting for them with open arms running to meet them.
For when we turn back to God, He is running to meet you, with embraces and kisses, welcoming us back with a “Nephtali” embrace!
As I close, you know I am a fan of Max Lucado. He frames this little thought it his very special way below. I just liked it and thought I would share it.
Have a blessed day
Running Away From The Fatherby Max Lucado
When I was seven years old, I ran away from home.
I'd had enough of my father's rules and decided I could make it on my own, thank you very much. With my clothes in a paper bag, I stormed out the back gate and marched down the alley.
Like the prodigal son, I decided I needed no father. Unlike the prodigal son, I didn't go far. I got to the end of the alley and remembered I was hungry, so I went back home.
But though the rebellion was brief, it was rebellion nonetheless. And had you stopped me on that prodigal path between the fences and asked me who my father was, I just might have told you how I felt. I just might have said, "I don't need a father. I'm too big for the rules of my family. It's just me, myself and my paper bag."
I don't remember saying that to anyone, but I remember thinking it. And I also remember rather sheepishly stepping in the back door and taking my seat at the supper table across from the very father I had, only moments before, disowned.
Did he know of my insurrection? I suspect he did. Did he know of my denial? Dads usually do. Was I still his son? Apparently so. (No one else was sitting in my place.)
Had you gone to my father after you had spoken to me and asked, "Mr. Lucado, your son says he has no need of a father. Do you still consider him your son?" What would my dad have said?
I don't have to guess at his answer. He called himself my father even when I didn't call myself his son. His commitment to me was greater than my commitment to him.
I didn't hear the rooster crow like Peter did. I didn't feel the fish belch like Jonah did. I didn't get a robe and a ring and sandals like the prodigal did. But I learned from my father on earth what those three learned from their Father in heaven.
Our God is no fair-weather Father. He's not into this love-'em-and-leave-'em-stuff. I can count on him to be in my corner no matter how I perform. You can, too.
I love you all.
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment