Thursday, August 22, 2013

SLIDING EXPECTATIONS




Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Ever find yourself getting a little “salty” from “sliding expectations”?
What do I mean you ask?
Let me try to explain it.
Have you had a time when you prayed and prayed for GOD to move in your life? A time when you cried out to GOD, “THY WILL BE DONE” or “GOD fix this situation or provide relief to this crisis and I will be forever grateful.” Then GOD shows up, provides hope or deliverance and instead of gratitude you question HIS decision because it missed your expectation?
Then you end up discontented with the outcome or the answer to that prayer?
Are you following me?
Try it this way.
We pray and pray for something to change and it does. But it doesn’t change quite the way “we would have changed it” and we get frustrated or even salty with GOD’s choice.
You ever do that or is it only me?
I know I have to be very careful when it comes to "sliding expectations". They do get the best of me from time to time.
I will give you an example or two.
I prayed for the LORD to heal me in the hospital. He did. But now I will find myself questioning why He chose not to heal my hands and feet a little more thoroughly so I could play golf better. Instead of being grateful to just be alive and playing golf, my "expections slide" to wanting to be Tiger or something!
You feeling me?
Or that I prayed and prayed for my little girl Samantha to be restored mentally and to maybe play soccer again and now instead of being happy she is healthy and back on the field I find myself questioning her playing time and utilization.
See that "sliding expectation"? You following me now?
What if instead of “sliding expectations” I called it discontentment?
Now is that a word that sometimes applies to you too?
The Bible addresses that word this way…
Philippians 2:14
Do all things without grumbling…
In others words, don’t be discontent.
But it is easy to get a little "grumbly" or a little discontent when our prayer answers “don’t quite live up to OUR expectations.” But that is a pretty silly attitude when we remember what the “TRUTH IS”.
Romans 8:28
We know that God makes all things work together for the good of those who love Him...
How can we be discontent when GOD promised it to be “all good”? How can we think our expectations trump GOD's goodness?
Therefore we need to guard against "sliding expectations". (especially me!)
We must strive for contentment and remember the goodness of GOD at all times! And when we feel that "slide" coming on we must remember the words of Paul before discontentment seeps into our psyche.
Philippians 4:11
…I have learned to be satisfied with the things I have and with everything that happens.
Be blessed today…
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment