Tuesday, November 19, 2013

NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH



Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
“It nearly killed me,” he said.
I don’t get to many AA meetings these days. Time and ministry just don’t allow me to traditionally“work the program” as I have in the past. But last night after FREEDOM I poked my head into a lead meeting in support of a budding friend. It was his first lead and those can be tough.
In a lead you are called up to dredge up a smattering of “how you got there”and hopefully inspire those in the room to “follow your path” as the AA preamble states. It is a big responsibility and even the most sure-footed can get a little nervous from the pressure.
My friend did wonderfully. I was proud of him!
His story is not all that dissimilar to mine. He was a late entry into the world of alcohol abuse, but like me he did a lot of damage in a short amount of time. But praise GOD he is alive, well and sober.
But why bring him up today? Why share?
Go back to the little quote at the start of today’s thought.
“It nearly killed me”.
Before my buddy gave his talk last night he shared that the message he wanted to deliver was a warning. He wanted to warn those in that room last night of the progressive and aggressive nature of the disease of alcoholism. The BIG BOOK says it is “baffling and cunning”; but I think my friend described it better. It is a cold, calculating killer.
That got me to thinking beyond just the challenge of alcohol to the real core problem; SIN. And I thought I would “follow his lead” and issue a little warning as well.
Sin is our nemisis. Sin is cunning and baffling. Sin is a cold and calculating killer in its own right.
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death…
Trouble is while not every who gets this little DISPATCH each day has struggled or struggles with addiction like my friend and I, we all are challenged by sin. That is a fact don’t kid yourself
1 John 1:8
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves…
Sin, like alcoholism, is a progressive and aggressive adversary. It starts small but left unchecked it will grow and will do its best to stifle our hope and make every effort to cloud our relationship with GOD.
But you know that!
What I want you to walk away with from today’s DISPATCH is just a reminder that sin left unchecked will do its best to kill you.
Now I know that is a little dark for the DISPATCH, but my friends talk hit home last night. He was a living (THANK GOD) example of the progressive and powerful nature of unbridled sin. It is not something to be trifled with or trivialized!
James 1:15
Sin grows up…and becomes a real killer.
And because I love each of you so very much, I wanted to at least encourage you to take a quick step back and pause.
Is there a sin or sins in your life that you are leaving unchecked? Is there a challenge that you are choosing to ignore thinking it will work itself out or just go away? Are you entertaining this cunning and deceitful enemy?
Don’t be deceived! Sin grows up!
And never forget it wants to kill you!
John 10:10
The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy.
So deal with that sin right now. I know you might be at work or school, or maybe the coffee shop, but don’t trifle with it. Confess it and clear the deck; don't leave it unchecked and don’t allow it to progress any further!
1 John 1:9
But if we confess our sins, he will forgive our sins, because we can trust God to do what is right. He will cleanse us…
Have a blessed day!
I love you all!
Freedom Church

Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment