Friday, November 22, 2019

CONSCIOUS CONTACT

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Good morning my DISPATCH/OFH family.  I know it has been a minute. Here we are mid-November of 2019; can you believe it? And as I awoke this morning, I was so glad to look at the calendar and see no colors.  
Colors indicate “needing to be somewhere”.  And I haven’t had a “color free day” since April (I think ðŸ˜Š).
And before I go further, I want to thank a couple of colleagues who took the ball for me today in Columbus so that that canvass could remain white.
The last week or so I have been sharing the wisdom and insights of Dr. Charles Stanley on the FACEBOOK version of this blog.  The devotional was called, “Stuck in Reverse”
 Inline image
Reason I picked it is because even though there has been so much good going on, multiple states and cities, multiple conferences and recognitions, I was feeling SPIRITUALLY stalled; dare say even going in the wrong direction.
For you see with the travel comes TEMPTATION for me. 
Lots of it.
My “right-brain” modality people would attribute the anxiety and the stress as “sensory” in nature.  Airports, hotels, restaurants, expense accounts, all “felt” very familiar. 
Very.
I had a more than a few moments when I almost forgot that it wasn’t 1994.  
For real. 
And while I knew we are most certainly ADVANCING the WORK of FAITH in recovery with our presentations and interactions, the environment did its dead-level best to shift me, my mind, and my spirit into reverse. 
Just being honest.
Jesus was DEFINITELY right when He remarked, (The) spirit wants to do what is right, but your body is weak. (Matthew 26:41 ERV)
But what was a little strange in 2019 vs 1994, is that back then I LOVED being away from Beth and the family.  Loved it.  Would add days on to trips just to keep it extended.  But in 2019 I really looked forward to coming home.  And I learned that my days of being gone for a month or two are over. 
They are. Too old and too fragile.
Now why share this with you today? 
I wouldn’t blame you if you are thinking what does that have to do with me? 
I share it today as a simple reminder of just how important it is to recognize our limitations and how easy it is to have the SPIRIT’S influence DISRUPTED; remind us that the enemy prowls and he loves it when we are “out of community” and separated from the “safe”.  (1 Peter 5:8).
And how important maintaining mindful connectedness is.
I have the honor of speaking at NEXT STEP at Ginghamsburg Church tomorrow evening and “coincidentally” have been asked to share a message on STEP 11 from AA.  That step says, “Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.”
Timely huh?
So, my simple encouragement today is a FAMILIAR one.  Keep your SPIRITUAL CHANNELS open.  Mind your environment and your “feelings”.  Be alert to the enemy’s desires.  Cling to your community, the healthy community. And most importantly mindfully maintain your CONSCIOUS CONTACT. 

I love you all!
Have a BLESSED WEEKEND!
Opportunities for Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment