Monday, November 25, 2019

GRATEFUL HAPPINESS

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Here we are, ‘Gratitude Week’.
Pastor Mark at my home church yesterday asked us to be SENSITIVE to the time of year.  He asked us to "constantly" be SELECTING SOMEONE/CIRCUMSTANCES to SHARE gratitude for & with. 
Simple assignment, right?
A few days ago, I shared a little study about the IMPORTANCE and IMPACT of gratitude on the brain.




Gratitude RESULTS in happiness!
Why is that you think? 
I have always taken the lead of Dr. Charles Stanley when he surmised that HAPPINESS is CIRCUMSTANTIAL and thus “a choice”.  He maintains that JOY is SUPERNATURAL because it comes from the LORD as our strength and a gift of obedient living.  Happiness on the other hand can ebb and flow based on our response to what is happening to or around us. 
I will give you a personal example.  Last Saturday I was REALLY happy when the Buckeyes were up by 21 points against Penn State.  In fact, I moved from my typical “edge of seat, nail biting posture” to putting away my laundry, relaxed feeling that this one was “in the bag”.  I was GRATEFUL and HAPPY!
But in a matter of minutes my HAPPY left, my gratitude for JK Dobbin's ability waned as Penn State, benefitting from sloppy play on the part of the Bucks, made the score 21-17.  Thankfully the boys righted the ship and won the game, which of course made me happy and grateful.
And while I know for some it seems ridiculous to have one’s mood PREDICATED on the performance of a bunch of 18-22-year-old kids, I can’t seem to overcome it. EmojiLOL. 
Just wait til we tangle with the villains from that team up north Saturday.  I am confident my mood swings will be pronounced.
But I share that little, and yes silly, example to hammer home the point that HAPPINESS is a circumstantial thing and if we KNOW that being GRATEFUL for LIFE, for BREATH, for GOD, for SALVATION, for GRACE; the list could go ON and ON, then WE SHOULD take my good Pastor’s advice and be READY to EXPRESS and SHARE GRATITUDE!  It is HEALTHY! 
whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God – Colossians 3:17 (ESV)

The Apostle Paul even went so far as to say, REGARDLESS of CIRCUMSTANCE, be GRATEFUL!
I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. Philippians 4:12-13 (MSG)
So there is the assignment.
…let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings! - Henry Ward Beecher 
And happiness to boot.
I love you all!
Have a BLESSED DAY!
Opportunities for Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment