Wednesday, June 6, 2012

DISAPPOINTMENT DANGER

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
ARE YOU SEEKING?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
I will admit it. Yesterday was moving along swimmingly.
Productive morning, solid staff meeting, was able to work with a family new to recovery, a little lunch, 2 consults, a meeting with a partner, a nice praise team and choir practice in spite of Pastor Eric deciding that men should sing a slew of high A’s for an hour, then back home.
I should have stopped there.
But I thought I would give the phone one last review before my “early curfew” (and yes I made it all the way to 9:35 Pastor Eric).
Big mistake.
For there on my phone was a string of texts messages that served to blow up an otherwise “okay day” and “set me off”.
Obviously I can’t share the details of the texts, but suffice it to say, I couldn’t believe the content. Weeks of work and arrangements flushed down the tubes in a matter of minutes. And instead of keeping my cool and perspective, I had a little “poor old me” moment and went a bananas for a minute.
Trust me the little tantrum wouldn’t make it on to the Pastor’s highlight reel that is for sure.
But that brings me to this morning.
And I asked myself, "Where did that little display come from?"
And the answer was pretty simple.
I let disappointment get the best of me.
I was way more worried about my agenda for this situation than I was about seeking GOD for the answer to the situation. So instead of pausing and seeking Him for the answer to the bad report, I just flew off the handle, focused on me, forgot everything about the person who was going through the challenge and went to my bed and pouted.
I know...LAME.
But it brings me to this thought this morning and reminds me that disappointment is a part of life that every person deals with. Our kids disappoint us; our spouse disappoints us; our friends disappoint us; our “clients” disappoint us and clearly we even disappoint ourselves.
And left unchecked, these disappointments can build up and wall us off to the prodding of the Spirit and the voice of GOD.
That is why it is important that nip these episodes in the bud and ask the Holy Spirit for help.
And here is why.
Disappointments and offense when left to stew and distract us threaten to cut off the fruit of God's Spirit in our lives and we definitely don’t want that. J
It is why Jesus reminds us to...
John 15:4-8
4"Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can't bear grapes by itself but only by being joined to the vine, you can't bear fruit unless you are joined with me.
5-8"I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can't produce a thing. Anyone who separates from me is deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire. But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon. This is how my Father shows who he is—when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples.
When we allow those disappointments, fits of anger and pity parties to block our connection to the Spirit we give clearance to the enemy to damage our vine and “damage our fruitful production”
We all (especially me) know that when disappointments come, rather than letting them ignite anger and frustration, we need to “give them to GOD”. He wants them in the first place and He will provide the answers, the direction and the peace to work through them.
Matthew 11:28
Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
28 “Come to me all of you who are tired from the heavy burden you have been forced to carry. I will give you rest.
So if you too are dealing with some disappointments today, if you have had a few things not “line up” with your plans and expectations, turn them over. Lean on God. His grace empowers us to do that which we cannot do on our own. And I don't care how much WE (I) may try, we “got nothing” without Him helping us.
John 15:5
…apart from me you can do nothing.
So will you join me today in asking the Holy Spirit to work within us to bring healing and restoration to your body, mind, soul and spirit; to produce in us healthy fruit; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, meekness, gentleness, and self-control?
Sure beats throwing the phone across the room I am sure. J
I love you all.
Have a blessed day!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney


No comments:

Post a Comment