Thursday, July 25, 2019

LEAN IN

Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?

Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?

Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)

The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.



Last Sunday at my home church, our YOUTH Pastor, John Marc was, along with several students, recapping their recent trip to FORWARD.  https://forwardconference.org/index.html



All the kids took some time to talk about the trip, the highlights and more importantly some of the lessons learned.  As you can see from the link, Forward offers a pretty remarkable lineup of content, worship and speakers.  So, it most certainly is an environment for enlightening and inspiration.



But as John was “teeing up” the kids he shared that he ENCOURAGED the students to LEAN IN each day; to listen with intention even when the attention span wanted to wane for there was always something to LEARN, something that would resonate.



And as I was traveling down to Atlanta yesterday and had the 8 hours or so in the car, I got to thinking about what John had encouraged.  And I can honestly say that over the last 11 years when I have employed that strategy, I have LEARNED, I have been INSPIRED, and I have been ENLIGHTENED.  And many times, what I gained was something or a relationship that I would need or could cultivate sometime “down the road”.



I think about why I am down here today.  I have a friend Kevin who is an expert in the area of SBIRT engagement. Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment. So, I was “leaning in and learning” via a FAITH-FOCUSED WEBINAR on this subject so I could then forward him the content.  What resulted from me “leaning in” was a connection to KELLY.  Kelly is a leader in GEORGIA who is hosting her 9th FAITH/SECULAR Recovery Conference today and tomorrow.  I had never heard of Kelly or the organization that is hosting me today, but because I leaned in, I know there is something to learn or someone to meet that I can bring back to OHIO to help our folks (and myself I am sure) in our journey of RECOVERY.



I am CONFIDENT you have similar stories.  I am sure you have had those Sundays when you felt the Pastor might have been eavesdropping on your week because the message seemed written for you!



And as I thought about this, that each day ALL day GOD is wanting to intersect with us, engage us, educate us, and lead us.  Our job is to BE AWARE, to LEAN IN to the day with INTENTION and ATTENTION. 



Made me think of this passage…This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike “What’s next, Papa?” God’s Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are...Romans 8:15 (MSG).



We aren’t to have a “grave-tending” life but rather one that is ADVENTUROUSLY EXPECTANT!  I translate that as one that LEANS IN and is READY to EXPERIENCE GOD and ALL the wonderful things a FATHER who loves us has for his kids today.



So, the encouragement today should be obvious.  LEAN IN and GET READY to LEARN.  GOD has something (maybe MANY things) for you today!



Every happening, great and small, is a parable whereby God speaks to us, and the art of life is to get the message. - Malcolm Muggeridge



I love you all!

Opportunities for Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment