Friday, May 22, 2015

GIVE GRACE

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

I have logged about 7 full years in the “recovery” world; 82 months or so.  Over that time I have seen “just about everything”.  And over those years I have seen tragedy and triumph; experienced euphoria and disappointment.
I have been audience to some amazing transformations, watched many folks who had been written off turn things around and astonish.

But it is rare when I am "surprised". It is even rarer when I am surprised in a good way.

Most of the time I am surprised in a dejected or “I can’t believe that really happened” kind of way. 
But that wasn’t the case yesterday. No yesterday GOD reminded me that there are MANY GOOD people in the Kingdom; people that “get it”.  People who understand friendships are not always quid pro quo; people who understand the FULLNESS of GOD’s grace.
John 1:16 (ESV)
…from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.
And because they understand the “amazingness” of grace they levy it, share it, live in it and love with it.

I will be honest.
It is easy to become a little jaded doing recovery work.  That is why when GOD sends me an encouragement like yesterday, I have to share it!

I have a young lady in my fellowship who is a “rollercoaster” recoverer.  She has moments of amazing revelation and stability followed by benders and binges that you have to see to believe. 

I love her dearly. Everyone does.

She has an amazing heart and disposition when she is clean. I know that is why the enemy wants her off stages and out of commission; she is that impacting and amazing when she is clicking.
And she was doing great. 
I mean great. 

And then the track crested and her roller-coaster car started another plummet.  This one so steep and severe that she landed in jail.
During her recent time on the rise and at her pinnacle she found some CHRISTIAN friends.  She got involved with a group of “non-recoverers” and they were doing life together. 
All was grand.  She was one of the “bible-study” girls.  And that was a good thing. 

But now she has failed them.  She let them down.  She was “back out”.

Now here is the surprising part.  Instead of judgment, which is what I am used to seeing, this crew of friends offered gift cards to the now “single dad” manning the ship.  They built a babysitting calendar. They started a FACEBOOK page to rally support and prayer.  They started making calls to treatment centers and to other organizations to open doors and present options for their friend.

Did I tell you they “don’t understand” addiction and recovery? 
I have NEVER seen such unfettered unconditional support.

Never.

Most of the time the “new friends” jet. 
Most of the time the “new friends” expand the distance.
Most of the time the “addict” is left to their own devices and “old friends” for support. 
Quite the contrary with this bunch!

These ladies “get it”.  
They have EXPERIENCED the FULLNESS of grace and now they are quick to SHARE it even when they don’t understand how a mother of two could trade time with her kids and husband for a rock of crack cocaine. 
But to them the coke isn’t important. Why their friend is in trouble irrelevant.

In their mind it is time to love.
In their mind it is time to show grace.
In their mind it is time to be like Jesus.
Lift up a hallelujah for my friend’s friends.  They are worthy to be praised!

Lisa Terkeurst says this, “I give grace because I so desperately need it”.

That is the lesson from these wonderful women today.
A lesson for all of us!
Give grace!

“The way you treat people who are in no position to help you, further you, or benefit you reveals the true state of your heart.” ― Mandy Hale

Have a blessed Memorial Day Weekend!
Love you all
FREEDOM CHURCH

No comments:

Post a Comment