Thursday, May 28, 2015

THROUGH AND BECAUSE

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

I got a pretty “distressed” call yesterday afternoon.  A good friend, a strong and I mean strong and dedicated follower of Jesus called. She is a true source of encouragement for others and she had been knocked off her feet and was at the breaking point.

Life was winning and she was in a word, OVERWHELMED.

Now listen before I continue this is no “run of the mill” Jesus-follower I am talking about. This one can “take a punch” when it comes to adversity. So for her to raise the white flag and feel like giving up just doesn’t happen.  She is a TIMEX watch (takes a licking…you know).

But yesterday was a different story.  She was over her skis and tumbling.

And like my friend, it is not uncommon for any of us to run up against things that are bigger than us; things and circumstances that loom so large or seem so enormous that we simply cannot overcome in our own strength. It may be outside trials or be an internal battle like a lust that threatens to consume us, or our addiction that repeatedly trips us up, a resentment that is growing inside us, or a sorrow that seems to paralyze us.  

We all have something that from time to time seeks to get the best of us.

But I want to encourage you this morning to remember some things; some things familiar, some things OFTEN quoted.  And while they have become a little "clichéd" there is NO DENYING their TRUTH regardless how familiar the refrain.
1 Corinthians 10:13 (MSG)
No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it.

When the problem becomes too big or we feel in too deep, we can ALWAYS trust this VERSE.  And because of it we can always shift our focus from the source of the issue and RELY on the TRUTH of the solution, CHRIST.

You see THERE ARE some old tried and true “truths” that “just work” and are BEST in times like this.
Especially this one.
Philippians 4:13 (NCV)
I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength.

Another familiar verse reminding us again that the strength for these “overwhelming” situations does not come from us, or from our own willpower but from Jesus Christ who has the power and deliverance we need.

Now I know these are tread-worn passages, but HOW OFTEN when the heat is on do we forget them?

Exactly!

So today if you are being knocked around or overwhelmed, ask some questions.
“WILL I make it through this trial?"
Yes! Through and BECAUSE of Christ I WILL!
"Can I overcome that temptation or addiction?"
Yes! Through and BECAUSE of Christ I WILL!
"Can I rise above my grief or depression?"
Yes! Through and BECAUSE of Christ I WILL!
There is nothing that you cannot do through the strength that Christ has promised to you. I don’t care how big, how ugly, how ill-timed the issue, if this is your first battle or your 99,995th battle, turn to Him my friends, and find the confidence, the joy, the strength that is found where?
Through Christ.

It is the hope of Christ that makes it possible for us to persevere in times of tribulation and distress. We have an anchor for our souls that rests in the One who has gone before us and conquered.” ― R.C. Sproul
 
Have a blessed DAY!
I love you all
FREEDOM CHURCH
 
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment