Wednesday, September 6, 2017

NOBODY, SOMEBODY, EVERYBODY

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

"I’m a nobody telling everybody about Somebody who can save anybody."

Adrian Rogers, a prominent Pastor is credited with that little saying.  I understand that he used it often to describe his ministry.

I have a good friend Ivan who on occasion will use a little “adaptation” of that quote from Rogers.  My buddy who is a devout and proven “12 stepper”, (a "12 stepper" is someone who embraces the 12 steps of AA - Alcoholics Anonymous or NA Narcotics Anonymous), will often insert the words “a program” in for the SOMEBODY on his voice mail or when he is addressing a group about the benefits and the undeniable results of AA/NA in his life.

And while I love Ivan’s version and Ivan, I do love Adrian’s a little more.

What would happen if we all took that attitude, if we all adopted that posture and plan articulated by Pastor Rogers?

For starters, we would certainly look a little more like Christ.
“I set the pattern for you, that, just as I did to you, you should do also.”—JOHN 13:15

Whether it was washing the disciple’s feet, coming alongside the broken with no pretense, always thinking first of others or to feed, heal, provide for, or encourage, Jesus showed us that you didn’t have to assume the posture of a SOMEBODY in order to help “anybody”.

And nothing showed that more eloquently and completely as His willingness to humble Himself to the very end of Himself. (Philippians 2:8)

Yet the crux of that little quote, the encouragement, or the instruction for us lies in the “telling everybody” part.

Who around you know Jesus a little better because you have told them about Him?

I know that it is easy to say, “I don’t feel comfortable doing that.” Or “My workplace would frown on that sort of thing.” Or “I don’t want to be overly zealous, people might talk or walk.”

If that is the case you need to ask yourself, “If I know of somebody who can help anybody, why am I keeping that to myself?”

Fair question. 

Is there a co-worker who needs to hear or experience the love of CHRIST from a “nobody” like you? 
Is there a somebody who with a little kind service or love could feel no longer like a nobody?

To be a Christian, we should do as Jesus did: propose and not impose. Attraction can lie in the radiance cast by our love. (Adapted from Vanier)

Can you love?

One thing I didn’t tell you about my buddy Ivan.  Using this little philosophy has afforded him the opportunity to help countless folks find sobriety in the rooms of recovery and sober living.  He has been and continues to be a champion for EVERYBODY seeking sobriety.

Imagine what can happen if some “nobody’s” like us decide to share OUR SOMEBODY with everybody?

Hmmm....

Have a blessed day…
I love you all.
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment