Monday, March 19, 2018

EYES on GOD

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

If I keep my eyes on God, I won’t trip over my own feet.
Psalms 27:15 (MSG)

Seems to be a theme the last couple of days.

“I am trying very hard to follow Christ. Some days I am right on. Others I am wobbling”, was a quote from a fella who is becoming a dear friend who clearly is doing his best to keep his focus on the Father.

Last night during a conversation with someone who I have come to love deeply this topic of FIXING our eyes on JESUS and not the CIRCUMSTANCE drove the chat as she is facing some difficult challenges.

Yesterday as Pastor Bob K. shared his message with our congregation in Xenia, this CONNECTION to GOD was weaved throughout his encouragement.

Truth is friends we get distracted.
Our way can get WOBBLY, our “fix” unfocused.

Even minor things can get our eyes OFF GOD and like the Psalmist surmises that often leads to a trip or even a fall.
Therefore. “Hold your eyes on God and leave the doing to him. That is all the doing you have to worry about.” - Jane Frances de Chantal

Remember this…?
At about four o’clock in the morning, Jesus came to them, walking on the waves! When the disciples saw him walking on top of the water, they were terrified and screamed, “A ghost!”

Then Jesus said, “Be brave and don’t be afraid. I am here!”
Peter shouted out, “Lord, if it’s really you, then have me join you on the water!”
“Come and join me,” Jesus replied.
So Peter stepped out onto the water and began to walk toward Jesus. But when he realized how high the waves were, he became frightened and started to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he cried out.
Jesus immediately stretched out his hand and lifted him up…
Matthew 14:24-26 (TPT)

Peter took his eyes off Jesus and let them drift to HIS CIRCUMSTANCES, HIS SURROUNDINGS, and HIS PREDICAMENT and when he did, he didn’t just “trip” he started sinking.  Note, the whole time his attention was on the LORD, Peter was able to DO the MIRACULOUS.

There were no worries.
There seemingly were no waves.
And yet when he lost focus, his circumstance sought to overwhelm him, worry and the waves “tripped” him up.

My dear friend I spoke of earlier, the one I had the conversation with last night, has resolved to keep HER EYES on the FATHER through her challenge which is QUITE daunting.  She knows that it is the only way to see her way through it.

But one other thing from this little passage from Matthew I want to leave you with today is that even though PETER lost his focus, even though he shifted his eyes from the LORD and to his circumstances, the LORD never took HIS EYES off PETER. 

Not once. 
Not for a second.
So that when he began to sink, the LORD was already there to LIFT HIM UP.
The same is true for us!
God carefully watches the goings on of all mankind – Psalm 32:8 (LB)

Man is that good to know!!
So, keep your EYES on Him today.  Don’t get tripped up by your circumstance and if you happen to start stumbling or sinking, don’t fear, HE WILL lift you up again.

Prayer for today:
God, teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course. Give me insight so I can do what you tell me— my whole life one long, obedient response. Guide me down the road of your commandments; I love traveling this freeway! Give me a bent for your words of wisdom, and not for piling up loot. Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets, invigorate me on the pilgrim way. – Psalm 119:33-36 (MSG)


I love you all!
HAVE A BLESSED DAY!
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment