Thursday, March 15, 2018

REST TO and REST IN

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
 
I’ll make a little confession and it is not to garner your sympathy, rather it is likely show you that you are not alone.
 
I am a little “tired”.
 
The “work” has been keeping me and the team(s) on a robust schedule since the middle of January and the last couple of days I have had a hard time getting “up” and staying the course.
 
And today is another day filled with “lots of calls and lots of meetings” and while on one hand I am so honored to be included in so many important initiatives and truly culture shifting opportunities, I sure don’t like the feeling of desperately treading water either.
 
Are you there too?
 
And while our intentions are likely PURE, is today is one of those days when we both need to ask, “ON WHOSE strength am I relying?”
 
Sadly, when I am honest with the fella in the mirror, I must confess, that while I have been perhaps working HARD I haven’t been working “HOLY”.
 
And I was reminded recently that if someone wishes to avoid those burned out feelings, one must remember where our help truly comes from.  where will my help really come from? My help will come from the Lord – Psalms 121:1-2 (ERV)

And when we are feeling weary in well doing, we MUST get back to letting Jesus be Jesus – and that requires a great deal of surrender and dependence, remembering…
This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. All by itself the soil produces grain...” Mark 4:26-28 (NIV)
 
The Kingdom of God is like this:
God grows it.
God produces it.
God knows how it works.
 
Catch that? GOD does it!
 
Friends, we don’t have to kill ourselves.
WE can abide in the Lord and scatter where He tells us to scatter, plant where He tells us to plant, and – this is amazing – REST at regular intervals in between.
We can.  Set your mind at rest — my presence will go with you, after all.
Exodus 33:14 (CJB)
 
Remember if the PRESENCE of GOD is WITH us, when the feelings of burnout SURFACE remember we CAN “rest”.  I mean if the Spirit resting in us, then why not rest in Him?
…weary, carrying a heavy burden? Then come to me. I will refresh you…
Matthew 11:28 (TPT)
 
Friends, the enemy would love nothing more than to have us “worn down”. That is when he does some of his best work on us.  At least he does on me; pressuring me with unfounded expectations and shame for not doing more.
 
That is why today despite a pretty packed agenda, I am going to resolve to give the BEST I have and leave the REST TO God and REST IN God.
Cohen said it this way…
“There is virtue in work and there is virtue in rest. Use BOTH and overlook neither.”
 
So, my prayer (and maybe you too?) for today is:
Father:
As I do the work you have called me to do, help me work with maximum energy and insight, giving my best, but also help me know when I have to step aside, in order for you to step in and do what YOU do.
Help me have wisdom to know how to abide in you.
Help me to breathe once in a while.
Take a walk when it is required.
Help me avoid burnout by letting you be you.
Thank you so much for the work you’ve given me, may it be EFFECTIVE for your Kingdom.
In JESUS, Amen.
 
 
 
I love you all!
HAVE A BLESSED DAY!
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE
 

No comments:

Post a Comment