Thursday, August 23, 2018

COMMUNITY COUNSEL

Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?

Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?

Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)

The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.



I was spending some time with a good friend yesterday afternoon.  We were catching up and doing a little planning for some upcoming requirements.  And after we got the business done, he asked a simple but insightful question,

“How’s Greg doing?”



And if you have been reading these OFH entries the last few days you know that I have had a little string of challenging days.  So, I shared a little of the recent anxiety issues with him. 



Ironically (or divinely) HE then shared a time when he had some similar challenges.  He shared some of his remedies and the things he does DAILY to stave off a return.  It was an enlightening and deeply appreciated conversation.  His wisdom, insight and experience reminded me of a favorite passage.



He (GOD) comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us. – 2 Corinthians 1:4 (MSG)



GOD had come alongside my friend during his hard time and now GOD had placed him there for my recent “hard time”.



THAT is how much GOD loves us; how much GOD loves me!

GOD knew I needed my friend.

GOD helped to arrange a time with my friend.

And GOD gave my friend what I needed.

Some of it was experiential.

Some of it scriptural.

All of it helpful.



Friends it reminded me of how much GOD cares for us.

I will be honest I have been seeking an answer to this recent challenge in prayer, almost desperate prayer and GOD opened the eyes, heart and wisdom of someone who was EQUIPPED to help me.

And because HE was obedient, I was helped.

It is a beautiful picture of the importance of COMMUNITY.

each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace – 1 Peter 4:10 (ESV)



Sometimes as Pastors or faith-leaders we can get prideful, can’t we?



We can forget that we were not meant to go this journey alone.  We forget that we are NOT infallible. We forget that FAILURE is NOT FATAL. We forget that APART from the LORD we are vulnerable.  We forget that we are stronger when linked.

A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. – Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NLT)



Perhaps you (and I know some of you are) are dealing with some challenges.  I know you have been praying about them.  
But can I encourage you? 

Don’t be too prideful.


Seek GOD but SEEK another too.  GOD has taken someone through the same journey and has equipped them with wisdom and discernment.  The BIBLE confirms it.  Pray for that person to reveal themselves.  GOD will make them known. He will. He loves you!



And when you connect, put down the pride.  Open your heart. Share the struggle. 

Nin remarked that: There MAY COME a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud is more painful than the risk it takes to blossom.



And then LISTEN.  Listen to GOD.  Listen to His ambassadors.

Listen well to wise counsel and be willing to learn - Proverbs 19:20 (TPT)



I can tell you it helps.

I am better today because of my friend.

I am confident I will be better tomorrow if I LEARN from GOD and HIM.







Have a blessed day…

I love you all.

OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment