Wednesday, October 2, 2013

HIDE THE WORD

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
You never know just where or when you may be asked to “counsel”. That is why it is important to have not only your words of encouragement for the person who is struggling or seeking, but GOD’s at the ready as well.
Beth and I are big soccer fans. Not many that know me in this current role know that I was at one time a varsity soccer coach at XHS. Even more shocking and unbelievable to some is that I played a ton of soccer back in the day. I even had scholarship offers to play in college. I know, I know seems impossible given my svelte appearance these days, but it is true. But enough of that…back to the DISPATCH.
I mentioned that Beth and I are fans so we went down to Springboro to watch Samantha’s boyfriend Kyle play last night. He is really something special on the soccer field as are several of the boys on the XHS boy’s squad. But GOD quickly showed me that I wasn’t there to be just a spectator.
I sat down in the stands next to one of the player’s parents and we began to chat. Casual was the conversation at first, then it turned decidedly more serious.
She was hurting. Her kids had her confused. Her kids were hurting. One was “running”, another stuck on path to problems, another wrestling with the “pressure” of what to do next. She was in the middle of the chaos and looking for not just answers but relief.
So like I said, I “counseled” a little.
I reminded her that that enemy loves to stir up chaos and noise in order to distract and destruct. And that when he tries to turn up the noise and agitate to “BE STILL”and allow GOD to down the volume, set the course and free the mind.
Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know that I am God…
2 Corinthians 3:17
…where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
She commented that GOD seemed so distant and uninvolved. I reminded her that GOD was there; that when she (and us) draw near to Him in these moments of challenge and confusion, He WILL draw close to us.
James 4:8
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
She wanted to just run away from “all of it”; to throw her hands up and find a secluded spot where life would be less complicated and serene. I reminded her that serenity wasn’t geographical but came from the calming presence of GOD; that true serenity was found not when we run away but when we “run to GOD”.
Proverbs 3:5-7
5-7Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track. Don’t assume that you know it all. Run to God!
Now clearly there was more to the conversation; more commiserating, more discussion for sure. But the most important things that were said were not said by either one of us, but by GOD. His WORD proved perfect for her time crisis and confusion. It cut to the chase and brought clarity to her most foggy of circumstances.
I share our conversation because I am sure she is not alone today in her struggle. I am sure there are others reading this little account that are in that same boat or have friends who are like her, confused, tired, and ready to run.
For you all I ask is that you remember that GOD has the answers to those problems. It is in His Word!
So pour that WORD into your hearts (Psalm 119:11 Your word have I laid up in my heart…) and mind!
Why?
You too may be a soccer game soon and really need it.
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment