Thursday, October 24, 2013

SELFISHLY LAZY


Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
How did you do yesterday?
“It was ok”, you say?
“Just another day” “Nothing special”
"How was mine", you ask?
My day had some less than stellar moments let's say.
I had a little idle time in the middle of the day and instead of staying focused, instead of looking for a way to serve, instead of pressing ahead, I found myself “distracted”. Now I don’t know about you, but when I get “distracted” I could easy translate that as “non-productive” or dare I say “selfishly lazy”.
Thankfully, there were some things on the schedule later in the afternoon that required focus and attention and that snapped me out of my funk and cleared my foggy head.
But I bring it up today to ask if you ever struggle with that?
Getting distracted?
Getting a little “selfishly lazy”?
Now before you go and say, “Well don’t we all deserve a break now and then or what is wrong with a little time for you, Pastor”, let me clarify.
When I get “distracted”, when I indulge in the “selfishly lazy” it usually is on things that don’t deserve the time spent. Surfing the internet, (which can be playground of problems), watching that same old movie for the 43rd time instead of making a call to a friend who could use it, firing up the XBOX instead of writing a chapter in “the book”.
That kind of distraction for me is well, dangerous. I mean GOD tries to warn me and you about that sort of thing.
Proverbs 15:19
The path of lazy people is overgrown with briers; the diligent walk down a smooth road.
But right now some of you might be wondering why “out myself” about yesterday afternoon? Well confession is healthy and I am going to go out on a limb and guess that I am not alone in this little challenge of the occasional bout with selfish laziness. I will venture to say that perhaps one or two of you have been in that same boat with me or have booked a ticket for the future.
So I bring it up not so much for the power of its confession but to rather reset MY focus for this day and thought maybe someone else needed to hear it too.
Romans 13:11
…make sure that you don’t get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God…Be up and awake to what God is doing! We can’t afford to waste a minute, must not squander these precious daylight hours in frivolity and indulgence…
You see GOD encourages rest and rejuvenation for the His work that needs to be done, but He clearly warns “squandering” our time in the things and distractions of this world. So we have to stay alert, stay focused, stay centered! At least I know I do.
Colossians 1:22
…stay grounded and steady…constantly tuned in to the Message, careful not to be distracted or diverted.
So today I am going to reset. I am going to identify my “distractions” and make every effort to ignore and avoid them. I am already awake and ready today to see what GOD is going to do and watch for what He wants me to do.
Want to join me?
For if you are like me, easily distracted; then a little “re-centering”and “re-focus” might be just the ticket to a more productive day filled with “selflessly loving" moments rather than "selfishly lazy" ones.
Proverbs 4:24-27
Keep your eyes straight ahead; ignore all sideshow distractions. Watch your step...
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment