Friday, October 25, 2013

HITS HOME


Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Odd couple of days; those kind of days where those around me were dealing with some pretty challenging and life-changing things and all I could do was watch and pray.
North Side Christian Church, the church where I grew up and where many of my family still serve lost their Pastor, Gary. Gary was a faithful servant.
A “super” man and those who knew him will agree with that little play on words.
He and I shared the stage and lots of conversations. I share with him just a few weeks ago in a golf cart at an outing. He was tired, but not short on wit and wisdom. I am reminded today how he supported and held me up when I was at my worst; came to my hospital room when I was struggling. He never quit on me. Cancer took him yesterday. He is home. But his loss hits home.
The day before 2500 miles away, my buddy Jason lost his mom. Cancer took her too. Jason, a good son, dropped everything and went to be by her side to the end. She is home. But her loss hits home.
Ten o’clock yesterday morning I share with my friends Angel and Greg as Mamaw, after 92 years of life and love, was laid to rest. She is home. But her loss hits home.
6pm later that day I share a hug and a hope with the family of Dorothy; soon to be laid to rest after 93 years; a wonderful matriarch and inspiration in her family. She is home. But her loss hits home.
Life is fragile. But such is the pattern of life.
Ecclesiastes 3
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die…
But it is days like today, when the losses seem to be piling up that we rejoice in the LORD! For these friends, these loved ones, are "home".
And home is right where they belong.
John 14:2-3
…There is plenty of room for you in my Father’s home. If that weren’t so, would I have told you that I’m on my way to get a room ready for you? And if I’m on my way to get your room ready, I’ll come back and get you so you can live where I live.
So today is not a goodbye; it is just “until then” for these my friends.
Can you take a second today to pray for these families, these friends? Perhaps there are losses in your world and sphere today too.
I will pray for you as well; thankful and praying that they too are home.
Be blessed this weekend.
I love you all!
Freedom Church

Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment