Thursday, May 22, 2014

COMFORT, PROMISE, PEACE, POWER




Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Psalm 91 (NLT)
2 This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.
14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name.
15 When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble.

Crucial and important promises for days like yesterday.

Not sure if you noticed, but no DISPATCH yesterday.  Rather Beth and I were scrambling our way toward RIVERSIDE Hospital where my oldest, suffering in some serious pain, was being prepped for an emergency appendectomy. Now I know that something like this seems “routine” these days, but no “emergency surgery” is ever met without some level of apprehension and concern. 

So as I prayed over Hillary, the words of this passage provided the comfort, the promise and the peace.

Then while driving up, we received word that a dear FREEDOM friend had apparently succumbed to the pressures and power of her addiction.  As I spoke to her brother about an upcoming service for her outside Hillary's prep room, he too needed the words of this Psalm.  He too needed its comfort, its promise and its peace.

Flash forward to the ride home where a call comes in from a concerned landlord and friend looking for the words to share with a tenant who is on the edge of breakdown; she is drowning in sorrow and vodka.  Again the words of this Psalm were there to offer.  That situation needed its comfort, promise, peace.
As the day mercifully drew to a close and I was looking over today’s calendar this little passage came to mind.
Proverbs 16:1(MSG)
Mortals make elaborate plans, but God has the last word.

I didn’t have a trip to RIVERSIDE in my plan yesterday but GOD had a word for it.

The conversation with a grieving brother was not in any color on my GOOGLE plan for yesterday but GOD had a word for it.

My trip home dodging the lightening and the rain talking to my brother in Christ as to how to help our sister was not downloaded to my Android but thankfully GOD had a word for it.

Yesterday was a great example of how important having GOD’s word ready really is.  I didn't have the right words for my scared little girl.  But GOD did.  I didn't have the right words for a grieving brother but GOD did. Words for a friend reaching out in love and help to a friend are not part of my repertoire, but they are in GOD’s.

I will be honest, I have no desire to repeat the challenges of yesterday today. I hope the day goes a little closer to colors on the calendar. 

But even if "my plans" are derailed, I am reminded that I am mere mortal and for this day to be navigated effectively, one thing is certain, I better have GOD’s word to do it.  For I really have no clue what is in store for me when I step away from the keyboard this morning, but GOD does.  And I need to be prepared.  I am going to need it.  I am going to need what He has to say to me and through me today.
Hebrews 4:12
…whatever God says to us is full of living power

Truth is we all need to have it handy and ready to use and share because we really never know when were are going to be thrust into a situation where only its comfort, its promise, its peace or most importantly its power will suffice.

Have a blessed day.
 
I love you all!
Freedom Church
 
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment