Wednesday, October 3, 2018

MAKE IT MANAGEABLE


Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?

Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?

Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)

The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.



I was sharing in a workshop at the Statewide Recovery Conference yesterday.  The topic was “BODY, MIND and SPIRIT – a Holistic Path to Healing.



And in my little presentation deck I referenced this quote from Mr. Rogers.



“Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.”



The context of the quote was under the “need for connection in recovery” section of my talk.



And it was kind of funny the number of head nods and phones that popped out to snap a photo of the slide.  I didn’t think something from Mr. Rogers would spark such a reaction.  But if you take a second and parse that little quote from him it carries a lot of wisdom.

It packs an important punch!



When we are struggling with life-controlling things be it addiction, depression, anxiety, and the like, the enemy does his best to try and ISOLATE us; to make us think we are alone in the fight against whatever it may be.  And yet Fred reminds us that we ALL are human and as a result, there is nothing that we should be fearful at sharing with a trusted friend.

Being able to talk about what troubles us is part of the pathway to healing.

Tell your sins to each other. And pray for each other so you may be healed. - James 5:16-18 (NLV)



When I am traveling and sharing with faith leaders or as in the case yesterday folks in recovery, that reminder that COMMUNITY is available is such a reassurance.  To know we are not alone in our struggles brings such comfort.



At least it does for me.



For the longest time in my struggle with alcohol I felt so alone.  I didn’t think I could talk about what was going on.  I also thought that no one would understand and all they would do is judge me and tell me to stop doing what was nearly impossible to stop doing.



But the more time I have spent in recovery, the more time that I have been working with others in recovery, the more this little truth from James and Fred resonates.



And I like how Fred frames it.

If it is MENTIONABLE it is MANAGEABLE and if it is MANAGEABLE it is not overwhelming.



Is there something that is hamstringing you, isolating you?  Maybe a challenge that has you feeling all alone.  You are not alone.  Find a “trusted friend”. 

Share the challenge. Make it more manageable. And then trust GOD for the healing that will ensue.



Remember:

“We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future.” ― Steve Maraboli



And maybe it all starts with a trusted friend.



Have a blessed day…

I love you all.

OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment