Monday, October 28, 2013

TWO EDGED TRUTH

 

 
Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
For those of you who know a little of my “story” you know there was a time in my life, that time when alcohol was my primary and most important relationship, that I loathed Joyce Meyer.  (www.joycemeyer.org)
I mean LOATHED!
My wife would insist on watching her broadcast every morning while I was in the bed trying to sleep off the aftermath of a day with my buddy, alcohol.
I can recall cursing at Beth over and over again to turn that crazy, charismatic “so and so” off and let me be.  But those of you who know Beth, that wasn’t happening.  And thank GOD it didn’t.
GOD had a plan.  And GOD, through Joyce and a “little purple book” (http://www.joycemeyer.org/ProductDetail.aspx?id=000155), gave Beth the “stick-to-it-tiveness” to ignore my ranting and learn the truth; the truth about her, the truth about our situation, the truth about hope, but most importantly THE TRUTH.
Flash forward a few years and there I am with Beth, her little tattered purple book of truth in tow sitting at a Joyce Meyer conference in Indy.  Me and a smattering of others fellas sprinkled among nearly 6000 women getting a good hearty dose of TRUTH.  I will admit it; ask me in 2007 would I ever go to a Joyce Meyer event and I would have told you something like when “pigs fly” or worse.  Well “Porky” must have been flapping his wings last weekend because I was right there in section 3 of Bankers Life Arena like a groupie!
Now whether or not you are a “fan” like Beth (and me) and regardless if Joyce’s “matter of factness” rubs you the wrong way, one thing about her is undeniable.  She brings Truth.  Every teaching, every exhortation, every suggestion and every piece of counsel and advice is laced, backed up, and covered in truth.  And it is that truth, not Joyce that set me FREE!
John 8:31-32
If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples. And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.
You see Joyce wields the Word for what it is; a two-edged sword that cuts through the nonsense and lies of this world, the fickleness of our feelings and the deception of the devil to the heart of matters.  She is unapologetic about it and never takes on LIFE without it!
And you know what?
Neither should we…here is why!
2 Timothy 3:16
Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God’s will in thought, purpose, and action)…
The TRUTH “truly” is all we need for life!
Now when I look back I now know why I despised those hangover mornings with Joyce.  The Holy Spirit through her was bombarding me with TRUTH and CONVICTION.  That two-edged sword was cutting and was cutting deep.  That TRUTH was chipping at the calluses of my addiction and it HURT.
Hebrews 4:12
…His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God’s Word. WE CAN’T GET AWAY FROM IT-NO MATTER WHAT…
And that was so very true. I couldn’t get away from it! 
Thank GOD I couldn’t.
So today I thank GOD, Beth, her little purple book, and Joyce for never ceasing to spout that TRUTH.
For it indeed “set me free”.
And guess what?  It will do the same for you!
And that is THE TRUTH.
 
I love you all!
Freedom Church

 
Pastor GDelaney


No comments:

Post a Comment