Wednesday, August 3, 2016

WEATHERS THE DENIAL

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these other men love me?” Peter answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Then Jesus said to him, “Take care of my lambs.”

Again Jesus said to him, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Then Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

A third time Jesus said, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was sad because Jesus asked him three times, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you!”

Jesus said to him, “Take care of my sheep”. John 21:15-17 (ERV)

For those of you who are familiar with this exchange it comes on the heels of Peter’s three-time denial of Jesus at the time of His crucifixion; a denial that Jesus predicted.  If you wish to read that you can find it here…(John 18:15 to the close of the chapter)

But why share that today? 

It is to remind us of the depth of JESUS' love for us. 
It is to remind us that in spite of our denials, our missteps, our apparent disqualifying behaviors, Jesus is always there loving us and continuously asking for only our love in return.  The story of Peter’s denial and Jesus’ restoration is a story for all of us who have “denied” Him with a harsh word toward another, a lie in the face of adversity, or a bout of perpetual or hidden sin. 

It is to remind us that Jesus is always there not just loving us but TRUSTING us to do the “next right thing”, to feed sheep, get back to serving, or dust off and return to the fellowship. 

Simply put, Jesus’ love for us weathers the denials and so much more!

…neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8:38-39 (ERV)

I share this today because I encounter so many, including the fella in the mirror who from time to time believe our most recent “denial” is going to be the linchpin, the tipping point, and the final "disqualifier".  
We surmise that that there is no way Jesus could LOVE us through this one.

But the example of Jesus and Peter should encourage us, it does me.

In spite of knowing Peter was going to fail epically and eventually, the LORD made a special effort to restore Peter to Himself and to TANGIBLY demonstrate His unconditional love!

I don’t know about you, but there are plenty of times I truly need that demonstrated assurance; that I can trust it and GOD LOVES it when I do.

“The splendor of a human heart that trusts that it is loved unconditionally gives God more pleasure than Westminster Cathedral, the Sistine Chapel, Beethoven’s “Ninth Symphony”, Van Gogh’s “Sunflowers”, the sight of 10,000 butterflies in flight, or the scent of a million orchids in bloom.

Trust is our gift back to God, and he finds it so enchanting that Jesus died for love of it.” ― Brennan Manning

So the question is a simple one today.
Will you trust in GOD’S proven, demonstrated and unconditional love today?

Will you HONOR it with love in return? 

And are you ready to “feed a few sheep” because of it?

Love you all…
Opportunities for Hope (Champions Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment