Monday, December 5, 2016

WHO YOU ARE

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

I woke up Sunday surrounded on the couch by 2 nieces, my oldest daughter and Beth.  And as I was sipping my coffee there in Hilliard, I was struck by how truly blessed I am.  My married little girl, son and son in law were on their way over and we were headed for some family time and some stellar eats. (http://www.northmarket.com/).  It was good start to the day!

The night prior we went to the movies together; Disney’s latest, MOANA.  When you raise little princesses, and are uncle to a few more, it is “just part of the gig” to embrace those Disney Princesses.

Yet this little tale was a little different.  And don’t fret.  No spoiler alerts if you haven’t ventured to the CINAPLEX just yet.  But it was the story of MOANA and that reflective coffee yesterday that was the inspiration for today’s thought.

The story of MOANA in a nutshell is one about IDENTITY.  She seeks her.  Others have theirs defined and redefined. As one of the core themes of the film encourages us to “KNOW WHO WE ARE”.  And while the film is a little more unorthodox than a lot of DISNEY fare, the message was clear.

IDENTITY, the identity we EMBRACE and EXERCISE is deeply important.

So, that is you're question for today.  
What defines your identity?

Work?
Title?
Status?
Stuff?

How do those hold up when they change or altered? Because they will.
Jobs change. (Don’t I know this one!)  
Stuff fades and rusts. (Matthew 6:19)
Status is relative.

That is why it is deeply important to gain your identity from what does not wither or wear out.
And for me that is not an easy exercise.  My narcissistic nature constantly vies for identity affirmations in associations, notoriety, and recognition.  And when it does, I must intentionally remind myself that apart from Jesus I have and can do nothing. (John 15:15)

So, it was that little coffee moment, that little time at the movies that served to remind me that WHO I AM is a gift from GOD; that my identity is defined by HIM and HIM alone!

I am a daddy to some great kids.  “Thank you, GOD, for that identity”.
I get to be a loving uncle.  “Thank you, GOD, for that identity”. 
Yet even more importantly, GOD reminded me in that little passage from John of how GREAT it IS to have my identity defined BY HIM and FOR HIM.

For I am (and you too!) are:
…complete in Him who is the Head of all principality and power. (Colossians 2:10)
…is alive with Christ. (Ephesians 2:5)
…is holy and without blame before Him in love. (1 Peter 1:16)
…is a new creature in Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
…is a spirit being – alive to God. (1 Thessalonians 5:23; Roman 6:23) 
…is a joint heir with Christ. (Romans 8:17)
…is more than a conqueror through Christ who loves him. (Romans 8:37)

That is just a few!

MOANA eventually discovered along with many along the way “WHO THEY WERE”.  I pray that this little OFH reminded you of who YOU ARE and to THANK GOD for that!

I love you all.
Have a blessed DAY!!
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment