Monday, May 8, 2017

MAKE THE MOST

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

It was quite the weekend…
Blue skies.
My wife was hooded for her Doctoral degree.  Several other friends received accolades and accepted degrees of achievement. Congratulations to Josh, Katie, Evan, Alexis and so many more!!!

In addition to that, my son demonstrated a little “chip off the old blockness” and participated in the local high school musical.  He did wonderfully!  We even had a chance last night to find the local paper’s article from 1981 when I was a sixteen-year-old “aspiring” actor – LOL! 
Of course, he rolled his eyes.

Overall, it was shaping up to be a memorable, amazing, blessed, and joyous weekend.  
And then the call came.

My wife’s colleague, a friend who she shared the stage with just 36 hours before outside of Ohio State University, woke to stir her husband only to find him “gone”.  
A man in his 50’s. Gone. 
All were and are stunned.
Devastated.
During all this good, this blessing, the smiles, handshakes, and joy came tragic news.

Ironically earlier in the day Beth, Ian and I had watched and shared in a message from Andy Stanley in which he quoted from Matthew 6.  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
Matthew 6:37 (NIV)

At the time I heard that passage, I didn’t think much about it outside the context of Andy’s encouragement for me to maintain a broader perspective when pressed with worry.  But then suddenly at around 3:30pm yesterday that “add a single day to your life” line suddenly took on an entirely different context.

I am sure my wife’s friend and husband retired for the night with some worries, some plans, some objectives for the following day. And in a blink, all of that changed.  Cementing that truth from Jesus Himself, which one of us can add an hour?
Are you following me?

I share this little dark moment not to bring you down, but to bring perspective.  Ephesians 5 reminds us to make the MOST of every opportunity! 
And we should.

We should make the most of the blessed times, bathing them in gratitude and appreciation, never taking them for granted.  We should grab hold of each day with both hands wringing it out for all GOD has designed! 
For there are no guarantees.

Brault once commented, “Life is short, God's way of encouraging a bit of focus.”
That is powerful. Let that sink in a little.

So, while this weekend was deeply satisfying and blessed it came with a little bittersweet chaser; reminding me and hopefully quickly reminding all of us, to make the most of our time. 
To be grateful for it. 
To relish in it.
For as the well-worn cliché says, 
“The important thing is not how many years in your life but how much life in your years.” – Stieglitz


Have a blessed day and lift my wife’s friend’s family in prayer today.
I love you all!
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment