Monday, February 11, 2019

CONFESSION'S CLEANSING

Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?

Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?

Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)

The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.



“Confession is a difficult discipline for us because we all too often view the believing community as a fellowship of saints before we see it as a fellowship of sinners. We feel that everyone else has advanced so far into holiness that we are isolated and alone in our sin. We cannot bear to reveal our failures and shortcomings to others. We imagine that we are the only ones who have not stepped onto the high road to heaven. Therefore, we hide ourselves from one another and live in veiled lies and hypocrisy.

But if we know that the people of God are first a fellowship of sinners, we are freed to hear the unconditional call of God's love and to confess our needs openly before our brothers and sisters. We know we are not alone in our sin. The fear and pride that cling to us like barnacles cling to others also. We are sinners together. In acts of mutual confession, we release the power that heals. Our humanity is no longer denied but transformed.” ― Richard J. Foster



Foster encourages us to RELEASE the POWER that heals.  
Authenticity brings healing. Hiding promotes hypocrisy.  
Confession is cleansing!

But if we confess our sins, he will forgive our sins, because we can trust God to do what is right. He will cleanse us from all the wrongs we have done. 1 John 1:9 (NCV)



This weekend I received a call from a good friend.  All he left on the voicemail was “call me”. So, when I called it was “for confession”. He felt compelled to share some challenges he was having and quick to admit some flawed thinking.  And while I was “blessed” to be the “confessee”, Lord knows I too am flawed. I know I need cleaning up myself.



Areas like lust, ego and anger, selfishness and short-sightedness plague me almost every day. My mind can be a divided landscape; shifting by the moment. Creative and connected one minute and carnal the next.  I spend lots of time dealing with the "Romans 7 dilemma"; doing things I shouldn’t, thinking things I shouldn’t and missing out on the things I should be doing.  I say that because I want nothing more than to be healed from that double-mindedness!



But I (we) can’t stop there.

We need to fill that cleansed space with CHRIST!

Therefore, following those times of confession and honesty, we must choose to enter into GOD’S presence to invite his accountability into our hearts and minds.  
Take thoughts captive.…take every thought captive to obey Christ…2 Corinthians 10:5 (ESV) 

Embrace His guidance. 

Fill our minds with GODLY influence.

Grow in grace.

Focus our attention, heart and mind on CHRIST!

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18 (ESV)

…Set your minds on things that are above… Colossians 3:2(ESV)



That will keep us on track!

I am doing my best to take that guidance to heart.

Confession. Presence. Focus.



Why?

God has made you (me) his friends again. He did this through Christ’s death in the body so that he might bring you into God’s presence as people who are holy, with no wrong, and with nothing of which God can judge you guilty. Colossians 1:22 (NCV)



That is why...!
Time for a little cleansing?






Have a BLESSED DAY!!!

Love all of you

OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment