Tuesday, February 12, 2019

LET THE SPIRIT

Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?

Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?

Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)

The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.



Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy. Ephesians 4:21-24 (NLT)



My schedule has not allowed me the privilege of attending our recently REBOOTED recovery ministry, FREEDOM at my home congregation as much as I would like.  But I did have the chance last night and I was reminded how impacting a night among friends and folks on the recovery journey can be.



For last night intermingled with dinner, worship, prayer and fellowship was a story from Chris.  In fact, it was Chris’ story.



And his story, like so many recovery stories, had some tough moments.  Addiction started at 11 years old. A loss of a mom. Incarceration. Failed treatment stints.  For those of us in recovery and those who serve the recovering, these are all too familiar themes.  But the good news is that Chris is no longer stuck in the cycle of addiction.  Chris is gainfully employed living an accountable and impactful life. He is serving others who are seeking recovery and telling those still trapped by addiction there is a way out and His name is Jesus.



For when I asked Chris to come and share his story he said, “Pastor Greg is it okay if I talk about Jesus?” And my answer was, “Absolutely, we wouldn’t want it any other way.”



And as Chris drew his talk to a close, he referenced the scripture that I opened today’s OFH with.  This is one of his “life verses” along with Romans 8:28

Let’s take a second look at this passage.  It says for us to jettison the “old us”. It tells us to let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. And to put on our new nature… And this nature is one that is no longer bound by those old thoughts, habits and actions but one that is now INSPIRED by the HOLY SPIRIT. 



It is a powerful passage for EACH and everyone of us don’t you think?  I know that I must be intentional at being SPIRIT-led and not marshalled by my old selfish thoughts or behaviors.  Daily I need the SPIRIT to RENEW my thoughts and guide my day. (Romans 12). For if I don’t, it doesn’t take long for the old nature to start polluting again.



Marianne Williamson said, “You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be.” And often that starts with opening our mind to the SPIRIT’S nudgings and direction. For when we do, GOD promises to continue to renovate our hearts, attitudes and minds; crafting us to look more and more like Jesus. Just like He is doing with Chris.



So let's start right here and right now and let the Spirit lead today!  Let’s take Chris’ “lead” and embrace our NEWNESS today, listen to the SPIRIT, and be as much like Jesus as possible in all we do and all we meet!

Sound good?









Have a BLESSED DAY!!!

Love all of you

OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment