Monday, January 7, 2013

NO MORE NEGOTIATIONS


Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
“Okay GOD I have been doing a little thinking. I have got some big plans for 2013. I even have a few goals, even a “resolution” or two.” “So let’s schedule a little meeting to go over MY agenda for 2013 so You can get to work on it.”
“Deal?”
“You with me Big Fella?”
“We are on the same page right?”
“I scratch your back a little, do the church thing, maybe do something nice for the elderly neighbor across the way, maybe I will throw in a trip to a third world nation and swing a hammer for a week, and you cover MY 2013 LIST.”
“Right?”
Now I know no one who receives this little DISPATCH would ever be quite so crass or arrogant, right? We would never reduce GOD to our blessing factory or to the other party in a "quid-pro-quo" negotiation would we?
Be careful before you answer.
I am comfortable in saying that there have been times in all of our lives where we stroll up to GOD, our supernatural vending machine, and look to cash in our “credits”.
We utter things like, "I have been great this week GOD, kept the sinning to a minimum and even did Bible study, so if you can see your way clear to motivate the boss for that raise, I would really appreciate it.” "GOD I will give you all the credit if you will let my team win and me score 25 in the game."
Truth is we often reduce GOD to just that…quid-pro-quo.
But have you ever stopped to think how PUNY our little sphere of wants and needs are compared to the vastness and extravagance of what GOD REALLY has in mind for us?
Ephesians 3:20
With God’s power working in us, he can do much, much more than anything we can ask or think of.
Therefore can I offer a little suggestion?
I mentioned it a little last week. Rather than approaching GOD with the little laundry list or our order from the blessing menu, how about we just pray for “what is NEXT.”
Romans 8:15
This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike“What’s next, Papa?”
Let’s take GOD at His Word. What we can imagine pales in comparison to what He has for those who love Him. Instead of collecting credits, let’s just work to honor and obey GOD in all we do. We are promised BLESSING UPON BLESSING when we do that right?
Deuteronomy 28
If you listen obediently to the Voice of God, your God, and heartily obey all his commandments that I command you today, God, your God, will place you on high, high above all the nations of the world…blessings will come down on you and spread out beyond you because you have responded to the Voice of God, your God:
So let’s lose the list. Cash out on the “credit” idea and simple obey GOD today and EXPECTANTLY leave the “next”to Him.
I love you all.
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney


No comments:

Post a Comment