Tuesday, January 15, 2013

PURPOSE

Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?

Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?

Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)

1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

I spent a little time recently with a good friend. He is a new friend, but a good friend nonetheless. He is experiencing great change in his life; getting older, working on staying clean and sober, making some new acquaintances, dealing with some old “stuff” too. His life is in a little...“flux”.

And as we shared a soda and chatted he dropped the “toughie” question on me.

“What is my purpose?”

Surprisingly I get this a lot from folks emerging from addiction. But you don’t have to have been addicted in order to wrestle with purpose. That is one of those big nebulous concepts that is hard to wrap our head's around for sure. And I will be brutally honest, I have "no" real good answer for that question.

But GOD does provide some clarity.

Ephesians 2:10

God has made us what we are. In Christ Jesus, God made us to do good works, which God planned in advance for us to live our lives doing.

Not quite so nebulous after all.

I believe when we get “stuck” on this question of purpose we must remember what GOD said.

GOD tells us HE MADE US WHAT WE ARE and we should trust Him to reveal our TRUE purpose in life.

Therefore, I encourage you to unpack that verse when you are stuck wondering what “to do next” in life or when you can’t quite figure out the “why’s” in your life.

Remember all of us were created in Christ Jesus for good works; planned in advance for JUST US. Each and every one of us has been given SPECIAL GIFTS, SPECIAL TALENTS and UNIQUE DNA to do something ONLY WE CAN DO! And only GOD truly knows what that is.

The Knox Translation says it this way...

Ephesians 2:10

We are His design. God has created us in Christ Jesus, pledged to such good actions as He has prepared beforehand to be the employment of our lives.

Each and every one of us was designed with a unique purpose, and that is what we should chat about with GOD when we are perplexed by our purpose.

The fact is we are not alone when it comes to the question. Paul wrestled with the same thing and he came to an interesting conclusion.

Philippians 3:12

I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.

Paul realized that our best plan was GOD's plan and we should REACH FOR IT continuously!

So if you are in the same boat as my buddy, a little overwhelmed or confused by this whole “purpose” thing, pause and seek GOD for direction. HE has made it clear that HE hand-crafted a special "good" purpose in you.

Instead of trying to figure it out on your own ask GOD to open your eyes to HIS plan for your life and then keep those eyes fixed on Him; pursue Him!

He wll show you!

He promised!

Psalm 16:11

You will show me the way of life...



I love you all.

Freedom Church





Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment