Monday, March 16, 2015

DRAW CLOSE

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is…Bob Feller.

Bob Feller was alluding to baseball in this little quote, but I thought it a good quote to open yet another week. 

Since I started to “do recovery” and “work in the field of recovery”, I have treasured the ability to keep building on yesterday’s FREEDOM from addiction.  

I also grab that “one day at a time” philosophy with both hands.
Matthew 6:34 (NIV)
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Philippians 3:13
…But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,

But that is not to say that some days don’t present their challenges or that some nights, like last night, don’t providing haunting reminders of the “failures” of yesterday in the form of very explicit (and I believe enemy inspired) dreams and nightmares.

That is why I like little quotes like Feller’s encouraging us to be "learners", not transfixed or hindered by failure, but rather folks who look at the possibilities and opportunities of life with a fresh set of eyes and clean sheet of paper each and every day.

I believe Monday’s are GOOD days for clean sheets of paper!  

I plan to see several folks today who have been given a NEW chance at recovery, a new chance at “life” today.  I hope to encourage them to LEARN from the past and grab today’s chance with both hands; moving forward into what GOD has for them!

And yesterday I was reminded of this little verse from James 4 to help do that.
James 4:8
…when you draw close to God, God will draw close to you.

I can think of NO BETTER WAY to GET THE MOST out of today’s opportunity than to start it by DRAWING CLOSE to GOD so that HE may draw close to me and us.

For when we draw close to GOD, GOD will: 
...draw us close to His counsel for today.
...draw us close to His guidance and perspective for today.
...draw us close to His protection for today.
...draw us close to His discernment for today.

Psalm 32:8 (LB)
I will instruct you (says the Lord) and guide you along the best pathway for your life; I will advise you and watch your progress.

So let me "close" with this.

You have been GIVEN a NEW DAY today. 
That means a NEW OPPORTUNITY as Feller reminds.

Draw close to GOD and HE WILL provide the rest!
God is able to accomplish, provide, help, save, keep, subdue…He is able to do what you can’t. He already has a plan. God’s not bewildered. Go to Him. – Max Lucado
I love you all.
FREEDOM CHURCH

No comments:

Post a Comment