Tuesday, June 23, 2015

GROW IN GRATITUDE - 6.21 (Missed Post)

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
Took a day away from the DISPATCH Friday. Not intentionally.
Awoke to a wonderful view of Lake Erie and a cottage full of family. Also awoke to no Wi-Fi and an exhausted data plan.
Amazing how we become a little “dependent” on things huh?
But as the weekend with my ever extending family (2 potential son-in-laws) unfolded I was just taken aback by blessing.
Thursday afternoon at Cedarville University Beth and I shared our story to her class of Master’s students. We call the talk “SpongeBob and the Professor”. If you know our story you know that title makes sense. If you find it odd, we will have to give you the abridged version some day in the future.
But whenever we share the story, and this time it was to help these students in dealing with the addicted in their practices, I am always so grateful that she and I are able to use the story to educate, but also inspire.
Sharing the story also reminds me to be grateful. And that talk opened a weekend with those 2 potential son-in-laws, my awesome kids, an amazing wife and dear friends from the east coast.
Something most certainly to be grateful for.
I talk about gratitude quite a bit in this forum and for good reason. More recoveries and good walks with Christ are derailed by ungratefulness. I think it is why GOD pushed us to GIVE THANKS in all things (1 Thessalonians 5:18), because He knew we can be a “forgetful” lot when it comes to gratitude.
GOD knows that we are prone to complacency and complaint.
GOD knows that we are quick to grumble when things don’t go our way.
GOD knows our memories of His goodness, His grace, His providence, and His provision can sometimes be short.
That is why He says never stop being thankful.
That is why I thank GOD daily for those opportunities to walk through the painful story of our loss and challenge. Why? Because it makes me greater appreciate the possibilities of today. It makes me greater appreciate the moments of blessing like 48 hours off the grid with those most close to me.
So what is the message today?
It is pretty clear.
Pause. Remind yourself to THANK GOD for all He has done. Don’t get overly focused on that half-empty glass today. He has brought you through some things. I am sure of that. He has us all. Look around today. What do you have to be grateful for?
I am grateful for GOD letting me be a dad to enjoy my 23rd Father’s Day.
I am grateful for my eyes opening up this morning even though Monday's are often "hectic".
I am grateful that I have three kids who in spite of me are followers of Christ.
I am grateful that my oldest PASSED her boards Friday and is now officially a nurse and is prepped and ready to serve others at the James Cancer Center in Columbus.
I could go on. But I will spare you.
I only share to inspire you to do the same.
Psalm 107:1(ESV)
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
“Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings JOY and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you.” ― Eileen Caddy
Have a blessed and grateful day…

No comments:

Post a Comment