Wednesday, March 29, 2017

LITTERED LANDSCAPE

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

...be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. – Romans 12:2 (ESV)

“The psalmist says, “I have set the LORD always before me.” Paul says, “We take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” They speak to the need for our souls to be completely and thoroughly with God. But as both of these verses suggest, it does not happen automatically. “Set” and “take captive” are active verbs, implying that you have a role in determining where your soul rests.” ― John Ortberg

I need that today; that encouragement to take an active role in my thought life.

Here it is the middle of the week and the landscape of my thoughts is and has been a little littered.
I have had angry thoughts.
I have had lustful thoughts.
I have had frustrated thoughts.
I have had discouraged thoughts.
I have had vengeful thoughts. 

Like I said a little littered.

But I realize both from Paul and from Ortberg that the landscape of my mind isn’t going to “clean/clear itself”.
Nope, I that got to get dustpan and broom, mop and bucket and get to work.  Because I don’t know about you but clutter connotes chaos and a cluttered mind and soul is not a restful one for sure.

So, what to do?
As Ortberg and Paul suggest it starts with putting GOD at the FOREFRONT of my mind and my minds eventual activity! 
Set your mind and keep focused habitually on the things above [the heavenly things] – Colossians 3:4 (AMP)
And that should spark the cleaning and bring a little rest to the equation!

It is easy to let our minds get untidy.
There are lots of distractions.  There are lots of things vying for attention and space.  There are lots of things we think about that really belong on the trash heap. And at least for me, those thoughts serve to unsettle me, make me question who I am, distract me from my mission and purpose. 

You as well?
Therefore today, let’s take some action.

Let’s begin right from the jump and get our mind set on those heavenly things; joy, peace, possibility, opportunity, grace, and truth. 
Let’s gather up the trash, expose it for what it is and relegate it for removal.  
And after we have cleaned and cleared, let’s rest, walk and act in accordance with the will of GOD.
Remembering:
The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. - Milton

I love you all
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE
 

No comments:

Post a Comment