Tuesday, March 21, 2017

PURSUIT of PAUL

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

It is remarkable some of the folks I meet while “running to and fro” these days.  
Yesterday was no exception.

Had my first foray into Van Wert County.  For you who may be like me and a little geographically challenged, Van Wert is as far west as it gets in Ohio. 

And it was at a little local diner, the Orchard Tree, that I had the occasion to advance my relationship with Pastor Paul.  Pastor Paul is a dear man, a “displaced hillbilly” originally from the center of West Virginia who the Lord has now placed in Van Wert to care for the addicted.

And like most Pastors and leaders I encounter in this space, Paul has a “story”.  Grew up in an abusive climate.  Found the Lord early in life only to spend many years denying Him, running from Him and blaming Him for his plight. 

And yet the Lord was relentless with my friend Paul and in the most unlikely of places and from the most unlikely of voices, Paul surrendered His life BACK to the Lord.  I say unlikely because Paul faith was re-ignited following an encounter with a little born-again Catholic who shared her countenance and faith while “folding clothes” in a living room.  
She was a mother of 8 so she was always folding clothes he said.
But this day she was folding clothes and sharing the glow of Jesus.
And Paul’s life was radically changed.

For during the “running” Paul, while “successful”, a good job, the white picket fence house, the dog, car, etc., was miserable to the point of suicide ideation.  His anger toward his abusive step-father seethed in him for years almost to the breaking point and yet when he encountered “her countenance” everything changed.

He saw himself forgiven.  
He realized he needed to get about the business of forgiving.  He started to hear the voice of the Lord again and GOD began to show Him his purpose, his calling and his destiny.

And while there is so much more to this story, reconciliation and restoration, a burgeoning ministry and work and an amazing story of deliverance for his abusive alcoholic father, I don’t have the time to share that today but maybe soon.

What I want you to take away today is that GOD never stops pursuing us; even in our disobedience.

God pursues us by constantly reminding us that HE IS. He never sleeps. He understands everything. He lifts us when we are weak. Even when we fall short of His glory – and we all do (Romans 3:23), He is still there waiting for us to reignite our relationship with Him.

And He uses the FAITHFUL to restore the unfaithful, the obedient to restore the disobedient; even the countenance of a launderer to restore hope and possibility. Remember, Paul had accepted Christ as a child and GOD doesn’t EVER renege on that gift of grace and His Spirit. I am with you always, to the end of the age. – Matthew 28:20 (ESV)

So, my friends I hope today’s little glimpse into my friend Paul’s story serves to remind you of this little truth about GOD and His pursuit...
I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence!
If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there.
If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me. – Psalm 139:7-10 (NLT)


Have a blessed day!
I love you all
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment