Wednesday, June 26, 2013

O.M.




Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
I was minding my own business yesterday when a completely unexpected and totally unwelcomed guest popped in to interrupt me.
I will be honest; I hate it when he shows up. He is self-centered and loathing. He can’t stop thinking about himself and what he has going on. He complains. He whines. He wants it his way or he then pouts.
I mean this guy is the ultimate distraction, downer, “pain in the you know where”that you will ever meet.
What makes me the craziest is he has this warped view that it is all about him; what he wants, what he has to say, what is next on his agenda and how much more important all of what he wants to share is than anything anyone else has to say, do or have planned. In other words his "stuff" is the most important "stuff", his issues the most important issues. He is self-important. No better still this guy is nothing but a good old fashion jerk.
Now you might be thinking that sure isn’t the way to talk especially by someone who calls themselves a Pastor for crying out loud. But I don’t care. This fella is no good for anyone, period. Plain and simple.
In fact I will even go as far as to tell you who “he” is.
Old Me. Yep. Old Greg.
I sure don’t like it when "old me" decides to show up. He still does from time to time. The enemy stirs him up, he pops in and causes all kinds of chaos doing all he can to get me to forget that...
2 Corinthians 5:17
...if a man belongs to Christ, he is a new person. The old life is gone. New life has begun.
Have you ever have a day like that; when the “old you” pokes back in for a visit?
I don’t mean a “relapse”, I mean when all those old selfish behaviors, feelings, and responses resurface?
We all (most certainly me) need to remember that verse from 2 Corinthians when the“old us” tries to make an encore or a surprise appearance. That isn’t who we are these days and they are not welcome. We must remember that:
Romans 12:1
...A new power is in operation. The Spirit of life in Christ, like a strong wind, has magnificently cleared the air, freeing you from a fated lifetime of brutal tyranny at the hands of sin and death.
To net it out. I am "FREE FROM THE OLD ME" and so are you!
So what are we to do when the "old us" tries to cloud the air? How do we graciously usher that “old us” out the door?
Pretty simple.
Remember and reset.
REMEMBER that we are a new creation these days. The old has truly passed away. Our focus and energy are no longer party to the selfish behaviors that ran the show for so long. A new power IS IN OPERATION and it is RESET by simply remembering to:
Colossians 3:2 ESV
Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth (or inspired by the “old you”.)
That should clear the air send that "old me" (and old you) back to where they belong!
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment