Tuesday, June 10, 2014

APPRECIATE THE PRESENT

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
“Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
I am grateful this morning; albeit a little late in delivering today’s grateful toned DISPATCH, but for good reason. I rolled in around 2:30ish today after a 22 hour day so getting up at the usual 430a was not happening. So please forgive my tardiness.
But yesterday was one of those “good” days a grateful day; a day when the Lord took me back to a place where I didn’t cultivate much gratitude at the time and reminded me of how fortunate I am. GOD took me back to a place that in 2008 I never thought I would see again.
For those of you who don’t golf, Father’s Day weekend is just that, Father’s Day weekend. But for the golf fan, it is the weekend of the US OPEN. This year’s open is at the legendary Pinehurst No. 2. For those who don’t golf that means nothing. But for the golfer and the fan one of the most remarkable moments in golf happened on that 18th green in 1999 when Payne Stewart was etched into golf lore with a remarkable putt and fist pump. Sadly Payne was lost not to long thereafter in a plane accident, but as we strolled the grounds of No. 2 yesterday, his memory and his memorials dotted the fairways and his impact was felt.
So why share about Payne and Pinehurst?
Yesterday, thanks to my awesome uncle who took care of the arrangements, my dad (79 years old) and I went and strolled around this “Pinehurst No. 2” the venue that will host this year’s open. We combed over the course, saw a few of the golf stars etc. It was a great day.
Yet this wasn’t my first time to No 2. In fact I had been to this legendary venue over a dozen times before. But sadly those memories were faded remnants due to too many years of “irresponsibility”. But yesterday GOD was quick to restore some of them to me and inspire me to be grateful for them. And then GOD allowed me to make some more with dad.
Like I said we had a great day; a day for which I am grateful.
I felt compelled to share this little experience to encourage and remind you to be grateful; to embrace your moments, to thank GOD for the future memories. It is so easy to always be seeking what is next and fail to enjoy and appreciate the blessings of the now.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” ― Epicurus
Ephesians 5:20 (TLB)
20 Always give thanks for everything to our God and Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
So I am most thankful for the day spent with dad for the chance to retrace my steps at a place I really loved so long ago and to now remember it with newness, clarity and joy. I never thought I would make it back there.
For that I give thanks today. GOD was gracious.
But let me ask you.
What is something in your life that you hoped for that you are now experiencing? Is it time to enjoy the present and thank GOD for it?
Psalm 103:2 (TLB)
2 Yes, I will bless the Lord and not forget the glorious things he does for me.
HAVE A BLESSED DAY!
I love you all.
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment