Friday, May 6, 2016

NAP NOT NUMB

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
 
There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled.  - Ovid
 
Wish someone would have told me that back in 1992/3-ish…
This whole “thing/life” might have been decidedly different.
Just being real.
 
But GOD has been faithful throughout the journey; faithful even when I was most restless and intoxicated rather than spirit-led and inspired.  He was always and is always calling me to “refresh and rest”; to take an occasional “nap” with Him rather than numbing my way away from Him.  

The only difference today is I just try to listen and respond to…
Come to me all of you who are tired from the heavy burden you have been forced to carry. I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 (ERV)
 
I was having a reasonably intense debate with a colleague yesterday.  We are at a crossroad with the work (I)/we are doing and some change is likely.  

Change is never restful.  Right?
 
We protect our territories and positions.
We suddenly see “more work” on the horizon and we don’t have the time or hardly the energy for the work already being done.  It is burdensome.  And while I am being asked to change (something I don’t do well), it is wiser for these days for me to try to “nap” in it than not; for me to take a little rest rather than indignantly respond.

For what is causing that great restlessness in my heart, mind, and Spirit demands that I give it GOD.  What is causing me to question finds its answer in the restful and yoke-lightening nature of the Father.  It won’t be found in alcohol even though for the first time in a long time it felt like a potentially good alternative. 
Just being real.

For:
I am not immune to defending or defiance. 
I am not immune from interpreting healthy questions as myopic, misplaced or confusing conflict.  

I am not. 
 
But what GOD has granted me in this walk of recovery is the clearer understanding that when things get restless and wearying, to just “nap” not numb.
 
Maybe that IS EVEN a nap in the physical, which I will tell you happened yesterday in parking lot in Worthington prior to a session.  I had 15 extra minutes and had just ended that spirited exchange.  A little worship music and a quick respite was the refreshment I needed.  It also opened my mind to the objections raised and pressed my creativity as to how to address the concerns that were and are justifiably raised.
 
So instead of defiance I am trying to embrace compliance, something again I am not really good at. 
But I will continue to try.
 
But honestly, that little nap, that brief burden shelving, that quiet time recharged the battery and let me see a few things from a different point of view and allowed the Spirit to guide me as to a next step or two.
 
Am I still a little defensive?  Yes.
Still likely appear a little “incredulous”?  Likely.  But not intentionally trying to.  

I must remember this...
I will be okay, we will be okay and the “rest” and the answers will come.
…the Lord knows what is in everyone’s heart. He knows what you are thinking. If you go to him for help, you will get an answer.
1 Chronicles 28:9 (ERV)
 
Perhaps you too are a little restless.
Perhaps you too need a little “nap”.
 
Take one.
Help is available.
Clarity will come.
Actions will appear.
Rest will result.
 
Jesus promised.
…learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  Matthew 11:29 (ESV)
 
“Most of the things we need to be most fully alive never come in busyness. They grow in rest.” ― Mark Buchanan
 
Is it time for your “nap”?
 
 
Have a blessed Mother’s Day weekend all!
Opportunities for Hope (Champions Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment