Monday, September 26, 2016

MEASURE THE GIFTS

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Measure the gifts of God. Collect your blessings. Catalog his kindnesses. Assemble your reasons for gratitude and recite them. - Lucado

Always be joyful. Pray continually, and give thanks whatever happens. That is what God wants for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NCV)

Measure the gifts.

If you are a frequent visitor to FACEBOOK and one of my friends, you have seen a few pics and quips from this past weekend’s celebration of my little girl Sam and her marriage to Alex.

And as I ponder and reflect on the tireless dedication of my wife, on all the planning, the occasional stress, the coordination, making breakfast for 300 of my friends, the amazing dedication and work of so many volunteers and loved ones I know today is a good day to do a little “measuring”.

For GOD is…
able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine…Ephesians 3:20 (ESV)

I can’t begin to measure the fullness of my heart as I scanned the crowd from the stage and saw friendly face after friendly face and beautiful face after beautiful face of the wedding party.

I can’t begin to measure the fullness of my spirit as we all shared in communion, prayer, a few laughs and a cadre of tears.

I can’t begin to measure the gratitude, the grace, or the blessing.

Words pale.
Expressions can’t effectively color.

But I can try.

How about you today?  
Maybe you didn’t have one of those once-in-a-life time-pinch me is it real weekends, but I am sure there is a kindness or two from the Lord that needs cataloging?

Mine begin with the kindness of Pastor Dan S. for opening his church to us, the kindness of Pastor Mark P. to open the service with such grace, passion, heart and love, the kindness of Sarah to plan and coordinate, the kindness of Sharon and her family to log countless hours to make sure the reception was “elite”, the heart of Kerwin and his remarkable men of GOD who served with such class and grace, or the kindness of my family and friends to assume the roles of delivery men/women, flower arranger, ironers, servers, janitors, and coordinators.

I could go on, I could til I overwhelmed WORD, but you get the point.  Microsoft’s “cloud” can’t contain the catalog of kindness I experienced as we began the story of Sam and Alex this weekend.

How about you?
Are there some recent kindnesses you have experienced that need to be cataloged?
Some gifts that need measuring?
Some blessings to collect?

GOD wants us to.
Remember, GOD wants us…
...Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5:20 (ESV)

So this morning assemble your reasons for gratitude. I am confident there are more than you could recite in this 24-hour window you have been given, but recite all you can.

Measure your gifts.
For… 
To be grateful is to recognize the Love of God in everything He has given us - and He has given us everything. Every breath we draw is a gift of His love, every moment of existence is a grace, for it brings with it immense graces from Him. Gratitude therefore takes nothing for granted, is never unresponsive, is constantly awakening to new wonder and to praise of the goodness of God. …Merton
  
I love you all…
Opportunities for Hope (Champions Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment