Thursday, November 3, 2016

ELUSIVE CONTENTMENT

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Contentment.
Ask yourself, are you?

Or has that “state of mind” become elusive?
Oh, we think we have it and then our circumstances shift and like sand leaking from between our fingers, so then does our “contentment”.

It can be frustrating huh?

I think it may stem from how we define contentment and where we go looking for it.  I mean if you lean on WEBSTER you find that contentment is defined as:
…satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else.

Pay close attention to that little definition.  
It says contentment means “I am satisfied”.
It infers that I am not seeking it; not “chasing” it. It infers that I am not wanting or longing for the next thing, the next HIGH, the next deal, the next “whatever”. 
It says “we just have it”.

And we do.  
We just sometimes don’t realize it.  

Every day I work with folks who are still seeking contentment, chasing after it but not realizing they are running on a treadmill if they are looking to or in this world for it.

The simple truth friends is that real contentment is only found in JESUS. And while many of us would say, “yeah, duh”, not many of us rest in that truth.

Billy Graham said,
Our sense of joy, satisfaction, and fulfillment in life increases, no matter what the circumstances, if we are in the center of God’s will.

No chasing.
No need.
GOD is already here always.

Jesus put it this way…
Matthew 5:5 (MSG)
You're blessed when you're content with just who you are—no more, no less.

Jesus paused to remind us that He made us, gifted us, equipped us, has our back, is walking with us, helping us, sticking up for us, and providing for us. 
What more could we need?
Nothing, right?

And yet contentment still can seem elusive.

So, let’s do this.
Embrace Jesus as your source of contentment this morning.  
He isn’t being evasive no need to chase.

…. I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.  Philippians 4:12-14 (MSG)

For:
We are never more fulfilled than when our longing for God is met by His presence in our lives. - Billy Graham


I love you all…
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment