Friday, November 4, 2016

SHAPING SEASON

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

…when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow. So let it grow, and don’t try to squirm out of your problems. For when your patience is finally in full bloom, then you will be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete.
If you want to know what God wants you to do, ask him, and he will gladly tell you, for he is always ready to give a bountiful supply of wisdom to all who ask him James 1:2-4 (LB)

This along with this little passage from Paul…
we must keep trusting God for something that hasn’t happened yet, it teaches us to wait patiently and confidently. (Romans 8:25 LB)
…have been in a heavy rotation for me in the last 8-10 weeks or so.

I am in a “rough” season.
And no, I am not ill.  I am not in lack.  
So, some might question just how “rough” it is.

Yet if James have said when the way is “confusing” then patience has a chance to grow or if he would have continued with "don’t try to squirm out of the refining" then perhaps the passage would be even more relevant to this season for me.

The truth of the matter is I am in a season in which my patience is being pressed.
A season of ministry sadly closed.  
A new season of ministry “seems” to on the horizon. 
I think I have even seen the “trailer” for it. 
And yet right now I am just waiting.  
And what makes me a little squirmy is that all around me I see that if the next season were to launch as I see it, how we could “help”.

But GOD is saying wait.  
GOD is saying “this is what I have for you right now” so rejoice and be glad in that even though I can’t quite figure what “that” is.

But I know GOD is not a GOD of confusion or chaos. (1 Corinthians 14:33).  He is a GOD of rest and access to WISDOM as James reminds.  So, in the waiting, I am to seek WISDOM.  In the waiting I am to TRUST for I must not be ready yet.

But I will be real.  I don’t like it.  

And ironically at a community drug event last night it seemed everyone I shared and chatted with were in the same boat.  
One was seeking the next step for her spouse who was restless and confused.  Another was seemingly being pulled in countless directions and when he sought the church for help, he was given the cold shoulder.  Another was so restless in her current state she wanted to throw in the towel which would be tragic because she is good at what she does.

And then the Lord had me pack things up and head to CEDARVILLE where a little gathering of concerned believers wanted to know what THEY could do to help their community.  
And it was there that GOD reminded me, the work that I am doing right now is the work I am supposed to be doing right now.

Eliot once said… “Destiny waits in the hand of God, shaping the still unshapen..” 

That is good.

For maybe you are a little like me now, “in between seasons”.  
Maybe you can envision what seems to be the next step or the next move, but GOD isn’t done “shaping” just yet.

Be patient.
We are to keep seeking GOD’s WISDOM and WILL for the day ahead; to stay trusting and patient.
We are to embrace the shaping.  
We are to identify anything that could be hindering and ask for GOD’S wisdom as to how to remove it.

And then as James reminds, when the time is RIGHT, GOD will have us ready for anything, FULL and COMPLETE and in the best SHAPE possible for the season ahead!


I love you all…
Have a blessed weekend!

OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment