Thursday, February 2, 2017

BEAUTIFUL STRUGGLES

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
 
Ravi Zacharias one remarked:
“I thank the Lord that, even though things were so wrong in my life here, I finally was brought to the realization of what all those struggles were about. There are some wonderful things from your painful past, things with a beauty you may not have realized at the time.” ― Ravi Zacharias
 
I was on the phone with a new colleague from the Miami Valley yesterday.  She is a dear girl; smart.  She has “a few letters behind her name” as I like to say.  She and I are working on a project to share important, relevant, and understandable drug information to the faith community.
 
Yet as we were talking she asked “the question”.  “How did you get into this?”
 
And as I told her “my story” I was reminded of this little quote from Ravi.
 
I am still managing some of the ramifications of “those wrong things in my life”. Even as I pen this, there are still “ripples” that daily impact me resulting from some “painful” past, but I know I wouldn’t trade it; the beauty has become apparent.
 
I have been asked on several occasions do I miss the money, the international travel, the prestige of “Crown Rooms and First Class”, of Caribbean excursions and golf resorts.
And when I am honest with myself I will admit, I do a little sometimes.
I wish I wouldn’t have lost ALL of it. 
Sure. 
But I truly believe that the pain of losing those things, the year of illness and recovery resulted in so much more. 
So much more.
 
I get to work with amazing people like my new colleague.
I am “present” in my life.
My relationship with the Lord is real and vibrant.
I have 3 amazing kids and greatest dog ever.
I have a faithful and stunning wife.
I could go on.
 
For there is a wonderful promise from GOD that ties together nicely with Ravi’s observation.
…he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair – Isaiah 61:3 (NLT)
 
It is so true.
 
That brings me to you today.
Are you dealing with some painful times right now? Is it hard to see anything positive or “beautiful” in them?
Don’t lose heart. 
Remember:
Pain protects and corrects!
You see, pain is a sign of God's love. Thank Him for it.
It tells us something is wrong and protects us from harm.
If we didn't feel pain, we wouldn't know we were “in trouble”, and we wouldn't seek an answer. 
And as much as we try to avoid it, it eventually must be dealt with.
Pain “avoidance” is at the root of this continuing epidemic.
 
So, the takeaway today is this.
There is purpose in our painful experiences.
GOD has promised beauty, blessing and buoyancy on the other side of them.
 
Therefore, we can really…
…rejoice…when we run into problems and trials, for we know that … they help us learn to be patient. And patience develops strength of character in us and helps us trust God more each time we use it until finally our hope and faith are strong and steady…Romans 5:4-5 (TLB).
 
I love you all…
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment