Thursday, February 23, 2017

HARD KNOCKS

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Earlier this week, I was teaching a class at the University of Dayton.  It was for “older” students, a “50 and over” program of personal enrichment offerings.  And as I was sharing my experience with addiction, one of my “students” made an interesting statement.  She said, “Today’s generation lacks gratitude for the tough times.  My hard knocks were some of the best lessons I ever learned and I am grateful for them.  These kids just want a pill to fix everything.”

I tend to agree with her.  I used to be one of those who drowned my challenges and “hard knocks” in a swill of 80 proof escape elixir. 

Yet today, I find myself thanking GOD for my struggles almost as much as thanking Him for the “good stuff”.  It has been giving thanks in everything; have gratitude for ALL my experiences from GOD that has really served to help me along the way.

And that brings me to that familiar passage.
…give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. – 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)

I am not saying it is easy to be grateful for the tough stuff, but GOD indicates that GRATITUDE for ALL that we experience is HIS WILL for us in CHRIST JESUS.  Hence there must be substantial value in being grateful for ALL we experience as all of it has value, all of it helps to shape and refine us.

And when we seek to absorb or mask some of those challenging times via artificial means, they don’t have the opportunity to complete their work; we steal their significance, rob them of their intended long term effect! 
We forget that…
we can be full of joy here and now even in our trials and troubles. Taken in the right spirit these very things will give us patient endurance; this in turn will develop a mature character, and a character of this sort produces a steady hope, a hope that will never disappoint us – Romans 5:4-5 (Phillips)

A HOPE worthy of our daily gratitude!

“To be grateful is to recognize the Love of God in everything He has given us - and He has given us everything. Every breath we draw is a gift of His love, every moment of existence is a grace, for it brings with it immense graces from Him.
Gratitude therefore takes nothing for granted, is never unresponsive, is constantly awakening to new wonder and to praise of the goodness of God. For the grateful person knows that God is good, not by hearsay but by experience. And that is what makes all the difference. – T.M.

I love that line… Gratitude…is constantly awakening to new wonder and to praise of the goodness of God…and that makes all the difference.

So, that is my plan today. I am going to dive into today loving and trusting GOD; hoping that He has those answers and guidance I so desperately need. I am going to open my eyes to the wonder and possibilities even being grateful for its challenges and difficulties; it’s hard knocks.

I think I am going to start with this…
“Lord I am going to do my best with Your help and for Your glory. I realize that there are many different people in the world with a variety of opinions and expectations and some will create conflict and perhaps disappoint me. But I am going to concentrate on being a God-pleaser and not a self-pleaser or man-pleaser. 
I am going to embrace the opportunities of today positively and honorably!
Thank you for the chance of today and whatever it brings.
I am forever grateful for it!
In Jesus, Amen…

I love you all!
OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment