Thursday, January 22, 2015

TOUGH LOVE

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Hebrews 12:4-11(MSG)
…have you forgotten how good parents treat children, and that God regards you as his children?
My dear child, don’t shrug off God’s discipline, but don’t be crushed by it either.
It’s the child he loves that he disciplines; the child he embraces, he also corrects.
God is educating you; that’s why you must never drop out. He’s treating you as dear children. This trouble you’re in isn’t punishment; it’s training, the normal experience of children. Only irresponsible parents leave children to fend for themselves. Would you prefer an irresponsible God? We respect our own parents for training and not spoiling us, so why not embrace God’s training so we can truly live? While we were children, our parents did what seemed best to them. But God is doing what is best for us, training us to live God’s holy best. At the time, discipline isn’t much fun. It always feels like it’s going against the grain. Later, of course, it pays off handsomely, for it’s the well-trained who find themselves mature in their relationship with God.

I will tell the truth.
I am a lover of this verse when I can use it to help someone else who is going through a rough patch or when others are facing consequence. I don't care for it quite so much when it applies to me.
I don't think any of us "love" TOUGH love.

But the truth is GOD doesn’t just love us.  He loves us deeply.  
Jeremiah 31:3 (KJV)
I have loved thee with an everlasting love:
But sometimes He loves us "toughly".
And that is the deepest sort of love; a Father’s love.

Often GOD allows consequences in our lives to train us, to teach us, to refine us, or to CONVICT us.  And anyway you cut it, those moments are rarely pleasant.
But HIS LOVE is never in question.  It never fails. It never forsakes.
So…
“If our testimonies are strong on this point and if we feel the absolute assurance that God loves us, we will change our questions. We won't ask, 'Why did this happen?' or 'Why doesn't God care about me?' Instead, our questions will become, 'What can I learn from this experience?' or 'How does the Lord want me to handle this?” – John Bytheway

Daily I meet with people facing “consequence”. 
In fact every morning I awaken to it.  Mine is called "alcoholic neuropathy".  My hands and feet are problematic.  I used to get angry with GOD over the incessant pain, the numbness and the unpredictability and limitations.  I used to use it as an excuse.  But GOD through the consequence, a little tough love, has allowed me to use it help others and be reminded of His immeasurable grace.  
I can’t tell you how many times my little challenge has helped another see past theirs.

Are going through a rough patch today? Are you dealing with a consequence? God sharing a lesson or invoking a little tough love?
Find yourself questioning GOD’s loyalty?  Questioning His love for you?

Don’t. (Read Petersen’s take on Lamentations 3:22 if you are) – God’s loyal love doesn’t run out.

Instead ask GOD what is to be learned or what is to be gleaned.
Remember:
…God is doing what is best for us, training us to live God’s holy best. At the time, discipline isn’t much fun. It always feels like it’s going against the grain. Later, of course, it pays off handsomely, for it’s the well-trained who find themselves mature in their relationship with God.

And that is where we want to be.
Amen?

I love you all…
Freedom Church
 

No comments:

Post a Comment