Wednesday, January 14, 2015

TRUST TRUMPS WORRY

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
 
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
 
Freedom and peace await those who give their worries to GOD and leave them in His hands. – Charles Stanley
 
In my line of work I encounter so many folks who are wrecked with worries; including the fella in the mirror.
 
Yesterday it was a mom whose daughter began her jail sentence, another mom whose little girl is on the run due to drugs, a homeless couple who have burnt all their bridges locally and are literally without a single good option for a local future.
 
That is just a few.
There are always more.
 
And I will be honest, I too can be a worrier.  Don’t think so just look at my fingernails.  They bear the brunt of a long history of anxious thoughts and worrisome reactions.
 
Trouble is I should know better. 
I know.
My grandma had a wonderful saying.  She would say, “Honey don’t borrow trouble. Worry is just like rocking in a rocking chair expecting to get somewhere. It is misspent time and energy."

“Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength- carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.”  ― Corrie ten Boom
GOD agrees.
 
Philippians 4:6-7 (TLB)
 
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don’t forget to thank him for his answers.  If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.
 
And while my head knows this is unmitigated truth, my heart, spirit and sadly my stomach don’t pay attention every time.

Yet here recently GOD has revealed to me the waste of worry and the FREEDOM that is available when I trust instead.  I barely have enough in the tank for each day as it is.  I most certainly don’t need to heap tomorrow’s challenges or worse yet uncontrollable circumstances onto to today’s plate.
 
I have to instead trust.
Trust that GOD will make all things RIGHT if I surrender to His will.
Trust that GOD is always looking out for my good.
Trust that GOD will provide according to HIS timing, HIS riches, and HIS provision in all things.
Maybe you do too?
 
Brings me to this...
Let me give you a quick example of trust trumping worry.
 
My wife Beth is getting her doctorate.  And while we have been uniquely blessed by Cedarville University to help defray the costs of this pursuit, they can’t cover it all.  Beth has been a little frayed and worried over how we were going to make that end meet.
 
But she resolved to STOP worrying and start trusting. 
She committed the need to prayer.
 
Yesterday with no provocation, someone called her from another source of help and her school is now 100% covered (including books!).
 
She was astonished.  Moreover she was deeply grateful.  She just kept saying, “Thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus” as she shared the blessing.
 
And that is exactly what we are called to do…
…don’t forget to thank him for his answers…
 
“He will give you strength for every battle, wisdom for every decision, peace that passes understanding…Dare to trust Him. Come back to that place of peace. Quit being worried, stressed out, and wondering if it will happen. God has you in the palm of His hand. He has never once failed before, and the good news is He is not about to start now.”
― Joel Osteen…
 
Let trust trump your worries today.
 
I love you all!
Freedom Church

No comments:

Post a Comment