Thursday, April 2, 2015

HOLY-SPIRITED

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Had an unexpected experience yesterday.

One of my morning appointment's canceled.  So there has been a little project for my son that I have needed to complete. Trouble is, those that know me know that when it comes to “assembling” things or craftsmanship I am limited at best.  

So the reason this project wasn’t complete was that I had reached the limit of my abilities and resources.

So with the unexpected extra 90 minutes I reached out to my favorite “hillbilly engineer” for a little help.  Some of you know him.

He has been a good friend of mine for more than 5 years.  I met him for the first time in the ER at GREENE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL. He and his wife were both in ICU following drug overdoses.  He was my “first” hospital visit as an “official” recovery Pastor.

And since then my friend and I have walked through many ups and downs, relapses and recovery, good times and bad times.

And that brings me to yesterday.
My friend is doing great.  And while he, like many, still suffers from the some residual consequences of addiction, he is upright, clean and CHANGED!

He is deeply invested in a local congregation.  His marriage, while still challenging at times (his assessment not mine) is steady and growing. His kids, while “energetic” are healthy, happy and awesome.

But it was our conversation that floored me.
He couldn’t stop talking about the BIBLE.  He was like someone who had discovered a buried treasure and he HAD to TELL me about it.  

So I just listened.

He spouted Old TESTAMENT truths and stories about the Israelites.  He shared his perspective about the HOLY OF HOLIES, the VEIL being torn and its significance, Saul transformation to Paul.  And that just scratches the surface.
(If you don’t know what I am talking about grab a Bible)

It was remarkable.

And what was more remarkable was His incredible grasp of HOW all of those stories and those truths could apply to him, his family, his walk, and his service. 

Thanks to the WORD:
He was experiencing the blessing of giving back.
He was finding peace even thought life was still tumultuous.
He had learned to persevere with GOD’s help!

He had been drinking from the Word as if it was coming from a FIRE HOSE and he wanted to share it with the same intensity!
Like I said.  I was blown back.

GOD has forever changed my long addicted friend and He was doing it with HIS WORD!  
But we shouldn’t be surprised.
GOD’s Word does that sort of thing…
2 Timothy 3:16-17(V)
All of Scripture is God-breathed; in its inspired voice, we hear useful teaching, rebuke, correction, instruction, and training for a life that is right so that God’s people may be up to the task ahead and have all they need to accomplish every good work.

My friend is a living testimony to PERSEVERANCE and the POWER of GOD WORD to change people.  He has never given up on the possibility of FREEDOM and has ALLOWED GOD’S Word continue to inspire him on!  

And now he is being blessed and blessing others like me.

It reminded me of this little quote from Twain.
“A few fly bites cannot stop a spirited horse.”
James 1:12
Happy is the person who can hold up under the trials of life. At the right time, he’ll know God’s sweet approval...

That is my friend. A now “HOLY-SPIRITED” horse; one who had held up under the trials of a life of abuse, addiction and challenge and is NOW experiencing GOD’s sweet approval as He ACCOMPLISHES the good WORK GOD has set him out to do!

I was inspired. I pray you are too.
I love you all
FREEDOM CHURCH

No comments:

Post a Comment