Friday, April 17, 2015

REDEMPTION

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Was drifting in and out of sleep last night.  It was a “long” day but a good day.  And while it had its share of “crisis” and 911ish events like all days in recovery ministry do, it also had many hopeful moments.

New relationships were forged.  Change was shared. Like minded people gathered in circles in Springfield and Xenia praying and “working” together to serve and minister to the hurting.
Yet it was while sharing in prayer last evening that I became overwhelmed.  It was a surreal kind of moment; one in which all of a sudden I wasn’t sure what I was doing.

Tons of questions flooded my head; fearful feelings.
How did I get here?
What made me “okay” to pray for others?
When did I become someone who others would trust?
Who am I to be this “go to recovery” guy?
Why do these people think I have a clue about any of this?
Don’t they know who I am? Don’t they know what I have done?
More importantly don’t then know WHAT I AM NOT?

It was weird.
I haven’t felt that “way” for a while. Sadly I used to feel that way all the time.  I mean ALL the time!

I think that is why I was struggling to sleep; partly because Beth was working late next to me with lights, computer clicking and her “praise” on and partly from my brain wrestling with this “stuff”…

And it was then that GOD sent a needed reminder.
He sent this lyric through the TV where Beth had her music playing and it poured into my half-asleep spirit.

All my chains have been lifted
'Cause when the hands of love touch a broken life
It feels like redemption.

I cried out to the Lord, He heard my cry
He healed my heart and He touched my life
Say hello to a new beginning

I was reminded that I DIDN’T DO anything to be where I was other than asking GOD to heal my broken life which He did. 

I was reminded that the conversations I had during the day were of Him, for Him, blessed by Him and endorsed by Him so why fear them? 

I was reminded that the discernment for the 911’s as well as the ideas for the planning and ministries were ALL HIS. 
So why the pressure? Why the anxiety?

The chains of the fears of failure, the anxieties of the dreams, the overwhelming press of the “to do’s” and the work had already been LIFTED. I would have a new beginning and new mercy for the day on the horizon Lord willing.
Lamentations 3:22-23 (LB)
…his compassion never ends. It is only the Lord’s mercies that have kept us from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his loving-kindness begins afresh each day.

The LORD has touched my life.
I’m redeemed. I'm free.

I then went to sleep.

I share this today for this reason. 
Perhaps you too have had a sleepless night or two. 
Perhaps you too are wondering “how did you get here” or “what is GOD really doing”. 
Perhaps you too are feeling overwhelmed and under-equipped.

If you are, lean on the REDEMPTIVE power of JESUS and not your own understanding or logic.  Lean on the REDEMPTIVE energy that GOD has granted you when you accepted Him and not your own steam.  Lean on the REDEMPTIVE promise that each day, yes even this day, affords a FRESH beginning and a fresh chance.  Lean on the REDEMPTIVE truth that GOD loves you and trusts you.
So TRUST Him.

“Embedded in the larger story of redemption is a principle we must not miss: God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things in the lives of others.” ― Paul David Tripp

Yes EVEN US.
Yes, even when we don’t think we can.
 
I love you all
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
Freedom Church

No comments:

Post a Comment