Monday, February 17, 2014

"PHILIA-FRIENDS"


Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind."Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
Comforting when the hand of a good friend is there isn’t it?
Insecurities lessen.
Confidence builds.
There is a quiet peace that washes in when you know “a friend” is near.
I often try on Monday’s to pull something from one of the messages of the previous day and weave it into the DISPATCH. And what I gleaned yesterday was the incredible value of “friendship”.
As Pastor Mark, one of my dear friends, expanded on the many flavors of the word LOVE in the Greek yesterday, he paused on this one for a spell.
Philia, which roughly translates as a deep friendship; defined as showing loyalty to your friends, sacrificing for them, as well as sharing your emotions with them.
You see Mark (and I) have a friend who needs another “philia-friend” to step up sacrifice and share with him. In this case, a kidney is needed. I ask all along this DISPATCH network to be in prayer for our friend as the search continues for a “friend”and donor.
(Also if you feel you might be a candidate, send me a note I will get you the information!)
But the concept of "philia" intrigued me.
You see, GOD built us for relationships; first with Him then with others. He asked us to take BOTH very seriously.
Matthew 22:37-39
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.
Friends; "philia-friends" are those friends that will sacrifice for one another; go to the wall for one another; are there for the good, the bad and the ugly turns in life!
Proverbs 17:17
A true friend loves regardless of the situation…
Jesus HIMSELF was a "philia-friend". I find that simply remarkable; extraordinary in fact. But true. He said so.
John 15:15
…now you are my FRIENDS, proved by the fact that I have told you everything the Father told me.
And we know He “redefined” “philia-friendship” forever with arms stretched on a cross; the ultimate sacrifice for all...for us...His FRIENDS.
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.
So I want you to just pause and thank GOD today for those “philia-friendships”in your life; those PIGLET and POOHtype bonds that are soothing to the soul and bring comfort and confidence.
They are to be treasured for they are truly special, lasting and deep.
“We'll be Friends forever, won't we, Pooh?' asked Piglet.
Even longer,' Pooh answered.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
"Philia-friends"
Have a blessed day…
I love you all!
Freedom Church
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment