Thursday, July 17, 2014

BE AVAILABLE


Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

I have been having sleep issues for a long time.  It is a consequence of a decade of “never sleeping” but instead “passing out” I am afraid.  Plus throw on a few extra pounds and a pinch of a restless mind and you have a delicious recipe for “sleep issues”.  So finally yesterday I took a step in understanding what is amiss and went to the MVH Sleep Center and got a “little device” that I wore last night that monitored a “night with me”. 

Of course the night was less than “restful”, but I am hopeful that the team at MVH can sort things out and “non-narcotically” treat the sleep issue.

By now I know you are all wondering what does this have to do with anything “DISPATCHY”.  Well I am telling you about the study and the trip to MVH to actually share something else.

The trip to MVH was supposed to take 10 minutes.  It took 70.  Why?

The nurse who was demonstrating how to use the equipment knew of what I did in helping addicted folks and we then spent an hour discussing the challenges a couple of her friends were facing. We unpacked possible resources.  She was so appreciative.  She had been “praying” for what to do to help!

What a blessing it was to share Jesus, His hope and the possibilities for the ones she was so concerned about.  On top of that, I learned that my wife had ministered to her and her family in the death of her dad in 2012.  I learned that she used to even attend my home church in Xenia back in the day.  It was an unexpected hour, but an hour well spent; a blessed hour.

Got me to thinking about why I was at the sleep center yesterday.  Was it to get some help?  For sure.
Was it to help another?  I believe that too. 

I believe that GOD often intersects us with others in need and is counting on us to help.
“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.” ― Teresa of Ávila

Yet often, as I was talking with another brother earlier in the day, the busyness of our schedules and lives often “hinder our help”.  We don’t take the time. 

That is why we have to make a concerted effort to watch for those doors of opportunity to share Jesus, to offer a comforting word or provide an encouragement and be willing to walk through it; even if it is a little awkward or inconvenient.

Now I am not saying I get this right most times.  I don’t.  To be honest I am more introvert than “extro…”  But I do believe it is our calling as Christians to be available, to offer a helping hand and encourage!
Matthew 5:13-16
You are the world’s seasoning, to make it tolerable. If you lose your flavor, what will happen to the world? And you yourselves will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless. You are the world’s light—a city on a hill, glowing in the night for all to see. Don’t hide your light! Let it shine for all; let your good deeds glow for all to see, so that they will praise your heavenly Father.

So here is a little assignment.

Take a look at your schedule today.  I am sure it is packed full of to dos and meetings and such.  But don’t allow the calendar or the clock to completely dictate your day.  Be aware of those you meet.  You never know, GOD may open the door to share His grace, His hope and His love.

Don’t miss the chance!
You will be blessed!
 
I love you all.
Freedom Church
 
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment