Thursday, July 3, 2014

DON'T EMPTY TODAY



Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

“…anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of its strength.” - Charles Spurgeon

What has you worried?
Too much month and not enough money?
Kids?
Job?
Plans?
For me my anxiety often resurfaces when I have set some expectations for myself in the future or when my plate starts to get a little full and I fear letting someone down or falsely believe that “I am crucial” to the process.  It is those times the old narcissistic and worry-wart me surfaces.
The stomach churns.
The fingernails get bitten.
The sleep gets stolen.

Sadly I can almost “sense” when one of those “anxious” times is coming. But more sad is most times I am not disciplined enough to head it off at the pass and remember what Spurgeon says.

"Don’t empty today"
... of its possibilities fretting over the future or worse yet fretting over things I can’t begin to control or influence.  It is kind of like worrying in July what the weather will be like for a vacation you are taking in December.

Wasted cycles.
Borrowed troubles.

A businessman once constructed a “Worry Chart” to keep a record of his fears.  He discovered that 40 percent of his worries involved things that probably wouldn’t happen, 30 percent involved past decisions that he couldn’t unmake, 12 percent regarded other people’s criticisms, and 10 percent involved his health.  He concluded that only 8 percent of his worries were really legitimate (if there is such a thing)—that is, things he could actually do something about.

That is why that whole serenity prayer makes so much sense every day. “GOD grant me the SERENITY for the things I CANNOT CHANGE”…

92% is a lot I/we can’t change!

Thankfully the Bible has quite a bit to say about anxiety and worry.  It does.  

And to be honest, with some of the balls I have in the air right now that I am concerned about dropping, with some of the things I am fretting and wringing my hands over, I need to hear it and read them as much as anyone today.

Philippians 4:6-7 (NIRV)
Don’t worry about anything. Instead, tell God about everything. Ask and pray. Give thanks to him. Then God’s peace will watch over your hearts and your minds because you belong to Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 5:7 (TLB)
Let him have all your worries and cares, for he is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you.

Matthew 6:25 (ESV)
Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life

John 14:1 (ESV)
Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God

Don’t empty today of what it has in store burning cycles or worrying about the things you can’t control or impact. Instead listen to the WORD, believe and pray.  Give it to GOD.  Let HIS peace replace the anxiety.

That should keep today full and tomorrow where it belongs…

Matthew 6:34 (TLB)
So don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time.
 
Have a blessed day!
I love you all!
Freedom Church
 
Pastor GDelaney

No comments:

Post a Comment