Wednesday, December 10, 2014

EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.

Earlier this year as my friend Butch was succumbing to his battle with kidney failure, I had the chance to better get to know “Coach Mo”. Coach Mo is an ENTHUSIASTIC fella to say the least.  He is a deeply thoughtful man and intensely caring. I appreciate his insights and his passion for life.

Here recently “Mo” has been including me on the distribution list of a little devotion he pens.  I found this one to be a good follow-on to yesterday’s DISPATCH charge to be an "encourager!"

From "COACH MO":

Exceeding Expectations
"They even did more than we had hoped, for their first action was to give themselves to the Lord and then to us, just as God wanted them to do." 
2 Corinthians 8:5 (NLT)

Two days ago I was with an NBA team that clearly is underachieving right now, far below public and private expectation. No fun. 

Yesterday however, I visited a new, young coach at a major university. I privately asked his head coach how 'the rookie' was doing. The coach's reply was quick and direct, "He's doing great…clearly exceeds our expectations." What welcomed news!
When performance exceeds expectation, folks get excited. Overachievers inspire. What ignites achievement like this? How does it all work? Scripture here points to two performance clues.

FOR GOD FIRST. First, commit my work to the Lord. Install that firmly into my life practice. The 'first action' makes the difference. It sets everything else in motion towards an excellent finish. "God, I am yours today. Help me to do my very best for Jesus' sake." A dedicated mission is a better mission. It's amazing how free, unleashed, and weightless things become when sincere, intentional commitments of labor for the Lord come first.

FOR OTHERS TOO. Commit to bringing others joy in and through my labor, not to win their approval but simply for their pure joy and God's pure glory. Build men for others. That is God's will. A 'for others' commitment frees and empowers me to exceed expectations.
How's our 'exceeds expectations' ethic? Like the Greek guys mentioned here? Like Jesus? Is it driven by a great first action? Do others clearly benefit? When God truly is acknowledged first and others' joy truly factors in, achievement soars.

“When I have learnt to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now.” – C.S. LEWIS
 
I love you all.
Love you COACH MO…
Freedom Church

No comments:

Post a Comment