Wednesday, December 3, 2014

NAILED

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
My mom has been a part of a little group of ladies at her church North Side Christian in Xenia for more years than I can count. They are called the “SECRET SISTERS”.

And each year the ladies draw a name from the hat and over the course of the year they find ways to bless their “secret sister”.  That often equates into special “secret sister” gifts on birthdays and holidays.  It sparks some creativity.  The ladies get to know their sister and have opportunities to pray over them throughout the year.  Then at the end of the year there is a big reveal when they all try to “guess” who their sister was for the previous year.

Like I said my mom has been in the group for a long time and has been blessed by and blessed many ladies along the way.

Mom and I were in the kitchen one day last week and she shared something the leader of this little ministry had written in their “newsletter”.

It said:
A man dies and goes to heaven.
Of course, St. Peter meets him at the Pearly Gates.
 
St. Peter says, "Here's how it works.
You need 100 points to make it into heaven.
You tell me all the good things you've done, and I give you a certain number of points for each item, depending on how good it was.
When you reach 100 points, you get in."
 "Okay," the man says,
"I was married to the same woman for 50 years and never cheated on her, even in my heart."
"Wonderful," says St.Peter.
"That's worth three points!"
 "Three points?" he says.
"Well, I attended church all my life and supported its ministry with my tithe and service."
"Terrific!" says St.Peter.
"That's certainly worth a point."
 "One point!?!!" he says.
"I started a soup kitchen in my city and worked in a shelter for homeless veterans."
"Fantastic! That's good for two more points," he says.
 Exasperated, the man cries, "Two points!?!!
At this rate the only way I'll get into heaven is by the grace of God."
St, Peter replies, "Bingo -- 100 points! Come on in!"

We often try to fix problems with WD-40 and duct tape...
God did it with a nail!!!

Maybe some of you had “heard that one”.  I don’t know it may be even be “an oldie and a goodie”.  
But I thought it poignant enough to share today.

Often we do focus a little heavily on our accomplishments or our ability to overcome and solve problems rather than just thank GOD for HIS GRACE.  We shamelessly try to rely on our own strength and wits when it comes to the challenges we face, the obstacles of life and pleasing GOD rather than just embracing GOD’s sufficiency.

And while yes the fella in our story had done some awesome things for sure, it was GOD’S GRACE manifested on that CROSS that changed everything.
2 Corinthians 12:9 (AMP)
But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you (sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble…)

It changed things for him and grace most certainly “nails” it for all of us.
Amen?
 
Love you all
Freedom Church

No comments:

Post a Comment