Wednesday, January 27, 2016

COMPASSION - 1.27.2016

Have you thanked Him?
Have you praised Him?
Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?
Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?
1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.
 
Matthew 9:36 (NLT)
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion…
 
“Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish. Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears. Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless.” - Nouwen
 
That is a tough order isn’t it?
But as Jesus HAD compassion we too are called to show compassion for others.
 
Yesterday on my way home after work I had some time to catch up on some phone calls.  It was my time to do the BEST I could at offering compassion.
 
I had a text that said “I am fed up with life”.
Compassion was needed.
 
A grandmother needs detoxed.
Compassion was needed.
 
A man was facing the consequence of a long run of addiction.
Compassion was needed.
 
Another man was described as FRAGILE by his family and friends.
Again compassion was called.
 
I am CONFIDENT that I am not unusual.  I am confident that you also encounter days and situations that REQUIRE COMPASSION.
 
Lucado makes the statement that “we were ALL made to MAKE a difference” in his book “Outlive your Life.”   That usually begins with acts of compassion.
Yet busyness, cynicism, and sometime apathy creep into our minds, hearts and lives.  And those things hinder the call of GOD to be compassionate.
 
That is why it is IMPORTANT that we don’t lose our heart for others.  We were called to LOVE them as we LOVE ourselves.  We were called to serve not be served.  We were not called to always be first but more often take the last seat.
That takes compassion.
That takes a willingness to go where it hurts as Nouwen suggests.
 
So the question for today is a simple one.
Is there someone in your sphere who could USE a little compassion today?
 
Everyone needs some as the song “Mighty to Save” reminds.
Everyone needs compassion,
Love that's never failing;
 
Remember my friends You (WE) have been loved with an unfailing love. 
(Jeremiah 31:3).  Share it.
 
Compassion can come in the form of:
A phone call.
A plate of cookies?
Card or a note?
Maybe a quick Facebook encouragement or affirmation?
An available ear?
 
Let’s ask God for a special alertness to sense moments in this day when we can clothe ourselves with COMPASSION. Let’s start by thanking the Lord for each person who has demonstrated that character trait of Jesus in our life and then resolve to replicate!
 
Let’s start here. 
“Loving Father, you made me, so you know very well that I am but dust. Yet you have called me into your kingdom to serve you at this specific place, at this specific time, for a very specific purpose. Despite my ordinariness, I belong to you—and you are anything but ordinary! Help me pour out your grace and compassion upon others that they, too, may experience the richness of your love. Through me, my Father, show others how you can use an ordinary life to bring extraordinary blessing into the world. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.”  ― Max Lucado…
 
 
I love you ALL!
Opportunities for Hope (Champions Charge)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment