Thursday, January 24, 2019

STICKING AROUND

Have you thanked Him?

Have you praised Him?

Have you made it your priority to agree and cooperate with Him today?

Have you taken that deep breath and listened for what He has for you today?

1 Timothy 2:1 (The Message)

The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know.



While on the phone yesterday with a “challenging situation”, a good friend, a real champion in the recovery space wandered into Panera for our appointment.  He sat down with me at the table while I wrapped up a fatiguing and deeply disappointing conversation with a partner who was serving a good friend of mine in his recovery journey. 

My friend was opting out. 

It was a sad and frustrating conversation to say the least.



So, after I hung up, I looked at my friend who is one of those folks in the TRENCHES, sighed and said, “I wonder sometimes why we do this stuff.”  He smiled and said, “I know, right? But we can’t quit, never.”



I needed to hear that because this phone call was just one of several recent setbacks being experienced by several of my friends, friends who have been “doing well” who are now back in the grip of addiction, bad decisions and the ripples.



I mean just yesterday alone I spoke with a beautiful wife and mother whose husband’s compulsion is tearing them apart.  Another conversation with a fella in Florida trying to figure out what is best for his relentless addiction.  Another who is homeless and still struggling to find long-term footing in recovery.  Not to mention a son who is aching for acceptance from his conflicted daddy.



And as I was wearily pondering all the challenges this morning, knowing that they didn’t disappear with the sunrise, GOD brought back to mind a passage that I have used often in the OFH, this passage from Galatians 6.

“let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don’t give up or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us…”



This week many who are close to me are experiencing relapse, confusion, divorce, hurt, compulsion, frustration, and anxiety.  Big troubles. Big hurts.  Big hurdles.  It would be easy to give up.

It would. 

But Paul says, no.  He says we must remain diligent even when it seems fruitless or when it is frustrating; remembering that…

God, who got you (and me) started in this spiritual adventure…will never give up on you (us). Never forget that. 1 Corinthians 1:7 (MSG)



Therefore, I can’t give up. 

We can’t give up.

Carnegie said it this way, “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”



Friends, as hard as things seem sometimes, we can never give up, not on ourselves, not on the others GOD has entrusted to us or on GOD.

So today…

I’m not giving up. I’m sticking around to see what God will do. Micah 7:7 (MSG)



How about you?







Have a BLESSED DAY!!!

Love all of you

OPPORTUNITIES for HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment